Changing hotel?

Started by Ohana, January 07, 2016, 11:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohana

Hello all! It's time for one of my long winded question posts again which I seem to be very good at haha!

So I've been thinking about our trip in May and about our choice of hotel... We are staying at Santa Fe, and although we have great memories of it, the breakfast may be an issue...
When we went last time it was mid November and despite the fact that it wasn't really busy, the dining hall filled up really quickly and it was just manic, and I was wondering a couple of things:

1. Will it be a busy week on the 9th may onwards? Is it known to be a busy one, because I checked all the school holidays and there don't seem to be any on this week but I don't want to be sorely disappointed?

2. If it is a busy week will getting breakfast at Santa Fe be a total nightmare?

3. Is it possible to discuss with Disney to upgrade hotels? In sequoia lodge what is the breakfast like? Same food? Better seating arrangements?

4. And lastly, unrelated as I know this will have the same manic business issues: will it be worth staying in Cheyenne whilst it's being refurbished? I just was considering a different hotel altogether for a change... And also so I can collect hotel pins haha.

Thanks in advance :)
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

stifle

1. I think it will not be crazy busy that week but busier than, say, next week.
2. Yes probably. La Cantina seats around 700 guests though so unless you're a big group or picky about where you sit, it shouldn't be too problematic especially if you eat early.
3. Yes, Disney is always happy to take your money. At Sequoia Lodge (as well as NBC, HNY and DLH) cast members will lead you to a table for your breakfast rather than you having to find your own. There is a slightly better choice of food as well. Or you could choose a Golden Forest room which has a dedicated lounge for breakfast as well as snacks and drinks during the day.
4. The only main differences between Cheyenne and HSF are theming and bunk-beds (which seem to be slated for removal in some rooms in the Cheyenne refurbishment). They are of similar quality and price. If you want a pin, go over the bridge from the HSF and buy it in the Cheyenne boutique ;)

haribosmum

1) I've visited the week before 2/5/12 and the weather was nice and it wasn't particularly busy (less so that it is in Feb half term when we now go).  The advantage then was that the park was open later at that time too (compared to my recent visits)
2)It's been a long time since I stayed in Santa Fe.  There are still breakfast slots given out but the difference is you go find your own table rather than being seated by staff.  If there's not a big group of you it should be fine.  If it is busy they may be offering breakfast in the park
3) It is always possible to change hotels but be advised they don't honour the original offer if it's no longer available, so if you booked 2 nights and got 2 nights free, if that has now finished or not available for the new hotel choice you would lose out.  Breakfast there is slightly better in terms of seating and also the variety, it's the next step up on choice from santa fe/Cheyenne.  but you still have breakfast time slots and it can still be busy and from memory doesn't seem to hold as many people!
4) the refurbishments are done fairly 'sympathetically' so it doesn't cause too much of an issue to guests, otherwise they'd have complaints all over the place.  as Stifle says you can go buy hotel pins from any shop :-) 
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

Lavi

We also stayed in Santa Fe. We took breakfast at 7:00 and it was free. By 7:30 there were queues, shortage of tables and so on. We were finished by 7:40 and so we were able to be at park gates when they opened, at 8:00. Every day we did a no-queue meet & greet on the Main Street, then rode Peter pan twice with no queues, then Buzz twice and some other open rides. By 9:30 we were at Studios gate waiting for the opening to be able to ride Crush with little queue. The key is getting up early and getting ready quickly. :).

The truth is that after Dreams we went straight to hotel, shower and bed. Our 3 yo was already asleep in her buggy on 2 or 3 nights when we arrived in the room :).

In fact we always do this way when visiting theme parks: arrive at park opening time and go to bed as soon as the park closes. It matches us well.

lovindisney87

We are the same as lavi, we go for breakfast early and its normally quiet then head straight for parks for when they open. I have stayed in the Santa Fe before they renovated it and in the Cheyenne, I think I prefer the Cheyenne out of the two mainly as they have the double beds and better themeing. Although like i say I havent stayed in Santa Fe since its been done up. Agree with previous post about just popping over to the other hotels to get pins. Enjoy your trip   :D
[size=150]Disney trips
Many i cant remember from childhood including a 2 week holiday to Disney World in Florida

Davy Crockett Ranch November 2003
Santa Fe October 2010
Santa Fe March 2012
Cheyenne January 2014
Cheyenne January 2016 😁
Davy Crockett Ranch January 2019

Hopefully many more to come

rebecca20

I thought the Cheyenne was closed... not sure of the dates but when I looked for March it wasn't even an option to book.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.