Driving to DLP

Started by Ohana, December 29, 2015, 04:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohana

Hello all. I'm currently planning travel for our DLP trip in May. I want the best option which will be the least amount of stress and will optimise the amount of time we will have in the parks.

I'm currently torn between flying and driving. The train is a no-no as it's too much of a faff to plan all that. So we live in Leeds and were considering getting the eurotunnel from Folkestone. Apparently it takes 4.5 hours or so to get there from Leeds, but we are unsure as to how long it takes to then get from the tunnel into Calais?

After that, how long will it take to get from Calais to DLP? We were hoping to get into the parks no later than around 3-4pm, if at all possible.

Are there extra things we need to purchase for our car, and is there baggage allowance or can we just take and bring back whatever the car will fit in it?

Also wondering what extra costs there may be, such as tolls? We were so far thinking fuel costs and tunnel costs. Don't want to be shocked by any extra costs when we're on the way!

(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

andlorna

Hi for the last 7 years we have been driving to DLP from Liverpool. We usually travel up to Folkestone on the Sunday usually taking around 4 to 4 1/2 hours depending on traffic. We opt to stay over either staying in the Premier Inn which is about 10 mins from euro tunnel or Holiday Inn express which is about 5 mins. We usually take the 7.50am. train. When we book we opt for the breakdown cover and holiday insurance usually costing around £150.00. We also top up on petrol in the Tesco supermarket which is just down the road from the Holiday Express. Petrol costs us around £150.00 for the whole trip. Travel time from the the tunnel to DLP is around 3hrs roads are lovely to drive on the only time it get busy is around the airport. We take the toll rd which is around 24euros each way.

We load the car up this is why we like to drive. We take snacks drinks etc this will save you money when you get there. Wouldn't travel any other way. We bought a Annual pass October 2014 and used it several times this year.We have been staying off site which works out even cheaper. We stay in the Hipark which if you book early (via booking.com)you can get a great deal Monday to Friday costing between 270 to 430 euros.  If you want any other info please feel free to contact me  :)
PREVIOUS VISITS,
Oct 06, Santa fe 3 days
Oct 07, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 08, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 09, Sequoia 4 days
Dec 09 New Year
Oct 10, Cheyenne 4 days
April 11, Cheyenne 4 days
Feb 13, Cheyenne 5 days
Feb 14, Cheyenne 5 days
Oct 14 Hipark 4 days
Nov 14 Hipark 4 days
Feb 15 Santa Fe 5 days
May 15 Hipark 4 days
Augt 15 Hipark 5 days
Feb 16 Cheyenne 5 days
April 16 Hipark 5 days
Aug 16 Hipark 5 days
Oct 16 Hipark 5 days
Dec 16 Sequoia new year
Next Trip
Oct 17 Hipark 5 days

Zee79

Quote from: Ohana on December 29, 2015, 04:59:53 AM
Hello all. I'm currently planning travel for our DLP trip in May. I want the best option which will be the least amount of stress and will optimise the amount of time we will have in the parks.

I'm currently torn between flying and driving. The train is a no-no as it's too much of a faff to plan all that. So we live in Leeds and were considering getting the eurotunnel from Folkestone. Apparently it takes 4.5 hours or so to get there from Leeds, but we are unsure as to how long it takes to then get from the tunnel into Calais?

We drive from the north east so takes us about 5 1/2hrs. We use it as a road trip so leave a day earlier, travel to a hotel near the tunnel. We stay over night & get the early train round about 7/7:30am. Takes 30mins.

After that, how long will it take to get from Calais to DLP? We were hoping to get into the parks no later than around 3-4pm, if at all possible.

Where are you staying? It takes roughly about 3hrs, we are normally at the parks any time from midday. If staying onsite then you maybe lucky & your room might be ready, if not you can leave your things in the car or luggage room then head into the parks.

Are there extra things we need to purchase for our car, and is there baggage allowance or can we just take and bring back whatever the car will fit in it?

There are things you will need to travel on French roads, look online or check out halfords they list everything, spare bulbs etc
We just load the car up with everything we can. Snacks, drinks etc if you have children (mine are 12 & 9 & I still do it) I take in car DVD player & pack activities to do.

Also wondering what extra costs there may be, such as tolls? We were so far thinking fuel costs and tunnel costs. Don't want to be shocked by any extra costs when we're on the way!

There is one toll which is roughly €23 each way. The only other costs would be Dartford crossing in the UK, you got to pay online now check it out because there is a time limit in which you get to pay it & its not advertised. How long are you going for? The tunnel can be cheaper depending on the number of days also the time you travel. We go early & stay as long as possible in the parks leaving about 3:30pm (depending on train) so get the train between 8-10pm back

bucksmum

We find it cheaper to stay in France and to fill up with fuel there too.  The Carrefour at Cite Europe near the tunnel had Diesel for 0.97 euro per litre on 19 December.  We normally stay in the Inis, rooms sleeps 2 or 3 but there are lots of value chain type hotels.  Sometimes we drive a bit further down to be nearer to DLP the next day.