How christmassy is Disney Dreams of Christmas?

Started by polar vixen, November 10, 2015, 09:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polar vixen

My question is the same as the title?  How christamssy is this years Disney's Dreams of Christmas?  Which scenes have been changed?
On a side note this years programme has me really excited.  I am soooo glad they are keeping magic on parade going as we are going with friends who've only ever been to America, and I know they love the parades so I'm glad they've kept this one!
Also, there are so many more scheduled meet and greets on the programme, which is fab but are there still extra roaming characters?  I've read a lot lately about people commenting how many more characters there are?  Any extras in the studios?

twentythingamabobs

Sorry polarvixen, can't answer your question (won't find out for another 5 weeks 3 days!) but could I ask you to please share the link to the programme with me? Having a bad day and can't seem to find it anywhere!

DLPWonders (Banned)

This year's DDOC is exactly the same as last year.
They haven't changed it.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

NCC1701Q

This weeks' schedule is here: https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-dlp-assets/prod/en-gb/system/images/show-and-parades.pdf

DDOC is totally different from the "regular" Disney Dreams!, but as DLRPWonders states, it hasn't changed since last year.

twentythingamabobs

Cheers for the schedule me dear!

Is the tree lighting show different from last year?

chrisvalentine

Zee79

samuelvictor

I was there last Christmas season (can't believe its nearly a year already! :-\ ) and this is the show we had:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Em59LMT1Q
As others have said, the show this year is apparantly unchanged.

To answer your question, it is nearly all Christmas/Holidays/Winter themed... with the exception of the "Summer" and "Love is an Open Door" sections from Frozen... of course, you could argue that "Summer" is sung by a snowman - but frankly it feels a little out of place amongst the rest of the winter stuff! Overall though its a great show, we watched it twice and really enjoyed it.  :D

twentythingamabobs

Quote from: chrisvalentine on November 11, 2015, 03:55:39 PM
https://youtu.be/HiIWKgz6mmk heres the tree lighting for this year enjoy

Thank you -  I dont know whether to watch it or not!! I absolutely loved it last year, even more so than Dreams, so don't want to be disappointed if it's not as good. I hope they haven't changed the music as it brought happy tears to my eyes every time I heard it.

samuelvictor

Quote from: twentythingamabobs on November 11, 2015, 05:52:56 PM
Thank you -  I dont know whether to watch it or not!! I absolutely loved it last year, even more so than Dreams, so don't want to be disappointed if it's not as good. I hope they haven't changed the music as it brought happy tears to my eyes every time I heard it.

I just flicked through it - its very different from last year in the sense that the begining of the show is now Mickey & Minnie with singers and dancers on a scaffold infront of the tree, singing jingle bells, Santa Claus is coming to town etc - however, the last bit of the show seems like a shorter version of the show from last year - a lot of the exact same music and the orchestration of the lights with it is exactly the same, but now with the cast members singing the lyrics on top of the audio.

Personally, I definitely preferred it with just the audio and the tree, but maybe thats just me having fond feelings for the show I enjoyed when on such a lovely holiday.  ;)

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Mickey and Minnie, and this show isn't bad at all - great for kids I'm sure and I sure as heck wish I was there to experience it and soak up the atmosphere in person... but there was something beautiful and elegant about the simplicity of the show last year with audio and how the lights worked with it all, with just the snow effects... something nice about every just comunally standing around looking at the pretty lights on the big tree. Very glad that I (and many others seemingly from a quick look at Youtube) filmed it in its older incarnation to re-watch, so that great show isn't lost :D

twentythingamabobs

Ah thanks for that comparison  Samuelvictor - must admit my heart has sank a little. My feelings totally match yours around the simplicity of just the music and lights, it was just so cosy and beautiful.

samuelvictor

I completely understand and empathise.  :(

That said, it's still a really nice show, and its nice to have another "proper" show with actual singers & dancers etc... DLRP is noticeably lower on them than other Disney parks. And I also welcome any chance to see Mickey & Minnie again. I'm sure those experiencing it for the first time will love it :) :D

twentythingamabobs

Think my little brother will enjoy it more with Mickey being there, this does sound more geared towards children so will be lovely for them. I'm glad I got to experience the old way!

And sorry for hijacking your thread polar vixen!!  :-[

DLPWonders (Banned)

I am completely in love with the renewed Tree Lighting Ceremony!
I find it SO MUCH BETTER on so many levels than the past two years!
Since the opening of the park in 1992 I've experienced Christmas season every single year, haven't missed it once.
And the way it is this year, is the way it should be.
The Charles Dickens inspired costumes, Santa and Mickey lighting the tree, the caroling....
It really takes me back to being a 5 year old, looking at it full beauty and wonder and magic.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

twentythingamabobs

Ah I shouldn't be judging before I've even seen it, I might end up loving it! Really need to amend myself to having a Positive Mental Attutude about change  ;D