Transfer from airport

Started by Siobhan82, August 30, 2015, 07:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stifle

Quote from: Komble on September 02, 2015, 02:12:14 AM
Quote from: stifle on September 01, 2015, 09:53:52 PM
Quote from: caspdex on September 01, 2015, 04:21:21 AM
Quote from: stifle on August 31, 2015, 02:40:45 AM
I would suggest the TGV if the timetable suits your arrival times. It takes merely 9 minutes from terminal 2E and the fare one way for 2 adults and 2 kids is from €54 if booked in advance.
Absolute rubbish, once you add getting to the station, waiting on the train and getting to your hotel at DLP , it is more than likely the slowest method of transfer. And if you miss your booked train because your flight is late, you may end up waiting upto 2 hrs for the next one and ,have to pay again.

I'm afraid that is just your opinion. I have used the TGV a number of times and I have found it excellent especially compared to listening to kids yelling and screeching for an hour on the Magic Shuttle. Yes, I am usually in HNY and fly to CDG T2C so it meets my requirements better than perhaps yours, but that does not make my opinion "absolute rubbish".

Mind if I ask a quick question, Stifle?

We are going to pre-book the TGV for our upcoming trip... How long do you think we would need to allow to get off the plane & to the platform? It would be just me and my partner with no luggage, just hand luggage... Sorry if it's a difficult question to answer, it's just you said you've used it a number of times :D (We will be flying into CDG, too!)

Which terminal do you use, will you be arriving from a Schengen country, and will you have checked bags?

stifle

Quote from: caspdex on September 02, 2015, 05:03:23 AM
I would suggest the TGV if the timetable suits your arrival times. It takes merely 9 minutes from terminal 2E and the fare one way for 2 adults and 2 kids is from €54 if booked in advance.
Absolute rubbish, once you add getting to the station, waiting on the train and getting to your hotel at DLP , it is more than likely the slowest method of transfer. And if you miss your booked train because your flight is late, you may end up waiting upto 2 hrs for the next one and ,have to pay again.
To say it is the quickest option is absolute rubbish for any number of reasons, and to recommend it for first time visitors without knowing what terminal they are arriving in, or which hotel they are heading to is not good advice.
Have you ever tried a private shuttle where you can be at your hotel within 40 mins of getting your luggage with no waiting on trains , buses etc.
I'm afraid that is just your opinion. I have used the TGV a number of times and I have found it excellent especially compared to listening to kids yelling and screeching for an hour on the Magic Shuttle. Yes, I am usually in HNY and fly to CDG T2C so it meets my requirements better than perhaps yours, but that does not make my opinion "absolute rubbish".
The 9 mins on the TGV is only one element of a 3 part journey, so to keep repeating that it is the quickest transfer is absolute rubbish.

Again – your opinion only and you are cherry picking what to compare. There are also multiple elements of, for example, a Magic Shuttle journey such as getting to the MS stop, waiting while everyone boards and gets their tickets checked, and going to all of the different hotels because yours is the last stop. Similarly for private transfers you must walk to where the driver had parked. And the actual travel time on the road is at the very least six times the travel time on te TGV. Fact.

Disney Matt

Wow! Such a heated discussion over a transfer.
My personal choice is the Magic Shuttle, it doesn't bother me if I'm the 1st or last stop, means i get to see the other hotels :) & with only 2 of us its cheaper than getting a private transfer  ;D
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

twentythingamabobs

We always get the TGV. We fly from Newcastle, land around 0915 and get the 1016 train. We check one bag. It can be a bit of a squeeze if there is a big queue at passport control (Christmas is a nightmare!) but we have never missed the train. It is by far the quickest option for us as we go straight to the Park and put our luggage in storage there for the day so we can get the most time in the Park :) We have Dreams APs so this is free.

Komble

Thank you for all your replies! There's sooo many! We are flying with Easyjet from Luton and arriving at Terminal 2D? If that makes sense. We also have only hand luggage and no checked bags (I think this is a tactical move by myself to stop myself from bringing back lots of merchandise!)

I think we could probably get away with allowing an hour or slightly more to get from the plane to the TGV in the first week of February, I'll see what the times/prices are like when we try to pre-book in November :)

Thanks again! :)

caspdex

Quote from: stifle on September 02, 2015, 10:14:55 AM
Quote from: caspdex on September 02, 2015, 05:03:23 AM
To say it is the quickest option is absolute rubbish for any number of reasons, and to recommend it for first time visitors without knowing what terminal they are arriving in, or which hotel they are heading to is not good advice.
Have you ever tried a private shuttle where you can be at your hotel within 40 mins of getting your luggage with no waiting on trains , buses etc.
The 9 mins on the TGV is only one element of a 3 part journey, so to keep repeating that it is the quickest transfer is absolute rubbish.

Again – your opinion only and you are cherry picking what to compare. There are also multiple elements of, for example, a Magic Shuttle journey such as getting to the MS stop, waiting while everyone boards and gets their tickets checked, and going to all of the different hotels because yours is the last stop. Similarly for private transfers you must walk to where the driver had parked. And the actual travel time on the road is at the very least six times the travel time on te TGV. Fact.
Yet more rubbish, with a private transfer actual travel time is about 35- 40 mins total from arrivals to your hotel. The walk to the car is two mins. To even suggest that a transfer on the TGV is easy and quick obviously comes from somebody who hasn't tried a private transfer. No waiting, cheaper for larger groups and straight to your actual destination, not a station which may involve waiting on another bus to get you and your luggage to wherever you are staying.

stifle

The only time I can think of that a private transfer will take 35-40 minutes is in the dead of night. Under an hour in Paris daytime traffic is daydreams or gigantic luck.

I'm not going to reply further as you aren't able to respond respectfully, and I don't want to generate further ill-will or get in trouble with the moderators.

Mcflurrys2015

We got back last night it took us from 3.15pm to 3.50pm to get to the airport via private shuttle is prestige would highly recommend them so easy and quick they were waiting right outside the arrivals door for us and again right outside our hotel reception
Hotel New york July 2009
Santa fe Aug 2009
Seqoia Lodge  August 2015
Day trip July 2016
Off site - Kyriad nov 2016
Off site explores Feb 2017
Walt Disney World Caribbean beach booked Aug- 2019

caspdex

Quote from: stifle on September 03, 2015, 07:40:08 AM
The only time I can think of that a private transfer will take 35-40 minutes is in the dead of night. Under an hour in Paris daytime traffic is daydreams or gigantic luck.

I'm not going to reply further as you aren't able to respond respectfully, and I don't want to generate further ill-will or get in trouble with the moderators.
Well in many trips we have never taken more than 40 mins from arrivals to our hotel reception. How long is the same journey using the TGV with waiting time included?

Siobhan82

I definitely thinking of using the private transfers my question is to those who have used it what time did u get collected from the hotel for the journey home our flight time is 20.45 at CDG

caspdex

Three hours before your departure time is the usual recommendation.

MattR

Quote from: Siobhan82 on September 03, 2015, 10:05:48 PM
I definitely thinking of using the private transfers my question is to those who have used it what time did u get collected from the hotel for the journey home our flight time is 20.45 at CDG

This again depends on the day of travel, which airline, where you are flying, what booking class you are flying ...

In general it takes approx. 40 minutes to get to the airport it can take 90 minutes if there is a big rush. I once spend over 3 hours in a traffic rush in Paris (city center) when I had to get to the airport ...

We usually fly Air France and don´t check in any bags which reduces the minimum check in time to 15 minutes for continental european flights. UK flights usually have to check in earlier ...

For me personally, I always show up at the airport as late as possible, I don´t want to waste my time sitting around in a lounge eating the same sandwiches day in and day out (I travel intercontinental at least once a month including lots of connecting flights...)

Mileto

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

Siobhan82