How do you save space in your suitcase for souveniers?

Started by RockNRoller, August 13, 2015, 12:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockNRoller

Having bought myself a new toiletries bag, it's Lightning McQueen by the way, I discovered  it was smaller than my old one and can't get all my stuff in it. This set me on a quest for space saving ideas, lot's of mini toiletries that are in abundance at the height of the holiday season and I was so happy to find a toothbrush that folds in on itself.

My wife also suggested I take no soap/shower gel and use what's supplied in our rooms, sacrilege I bring those back to line the window sill of our bath room at home.

What do you do to save space in your bag?
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

daddyof2

No need to save space, either take an expanding bag/case or take an empty one. A soft bag is easier, but if you only have 2 hard cases then pack your stuff in the small one and put the whole thing inside the bigger one.

Slimy yet satisfying

We always pack pj that the kids are almost out of same with socks and pants then we chuck them all out on the last day. You'd be amazed how much space a family of 5 takes up in underwear and pjs! If you intend to buy lots pack a case or bag inside your 1st one, then you only need to purchase luggage for your return journey.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

lovindisney87

We pack a small holdall in our suitcase so we have an extra to return although wont be doing that this time as need to be careful as flying. Also we would take toiletries, toothbrushes shower gel flannels etc that was all cheap so we can chuck before we come back. I also pack a bottle of squash and some snacks like crisps, biscuits etc so that doesn't come home with us meaning extra room for on way back and the kids always have a backpack that they can use to carry their souvenirs home in. 😁
[size=150]Disney trips
Many i cant remember from childhood including a 2 week holiday to Disney World in Florida

Davy Crockett Ranch November 2003
Santa Fe October 2010
Santa Fe March 2012
Cheyenne January 2014
Cheyenne January 2016 😁
Davy Crockett Ranch January 2019

Hopefully many more to come

bad-pink-tink

I have travel sized bottles (all under 100ml) that I decant my shampoo, conditioner and shower gel into. I buy travel sized toothpaste , deodorant etc I also have mini sample sized bottle for my perfume which I decant from my big sized perfume, and mini containers which I put moisturiser from my big jar into. I buy travel sized packets of face wipes and tissues. I have a suitcase weighing scale at home, you hook it to your suitcase and hang it and the weight pulls the dial down and I make sure that I am way under the airline maximum weight on my outward journey. I also bring the maximum sized hand luggage for that particular airline and use the space well.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Sulley15

I drove to Disneyland mainly to bring back beer and wine, but I glad I did the amount 3 kids can buy with the money they have saved up!

The car was full, we have been across twice now and find it so much easier. Everything is more or less at your pace, get to Disneyland for when it opens etc.

You get little bottles in the rooms but they aren't replenished every day...
New York hotel March 2013
Cheyenne February 2015
Newport bay Compass room February 2017

andrewuk

We take some food over so oncewe've eaten that we have some space.  Also just take bigger cases than we need
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

HildeKitten

We go by car, and it's only 2 people in the car, so we don't really have a space issue :)
It also helps to get a suitcase as big as allowed, because it means you'll have lots of room :D

RockNRoller

I can appreciate the bag within a bag idea but as I'm a bit lazy I'm put off by the idea of carrying 2 bags home.
I have now started collecting socks that are a bit worn to throw whilst I'm away. Have also decided to take one less T-Shirt than I need, buy one and wear it for the journey home. Have also just bought a vacuum bag for dirty laundry that you zip shut then roll up to force the air out which means the clothes take a lot less space up.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

sarahh83

Quote from: Sulley15 on August 14, 2015, 10:07:03 AM
I drove to Disneyland mainly to bring back beer and wine, but I glad I did the amount 3 kids can buy with the money they have saved up!

The car was full, we have been across twice now and find it so much easier. Everything is more or less at your pace, get to Disneyland for when it opens etc.

You get little bottles in the rooms but they aren't replenished every day...

this is exactly why we drive too!! dont have to worry about how much extra stuff im returning with haha
First visit to DLP but stayed in Paris in 1993 just after DLP opened - aged 10!!

Cheyenne 13-17 Dec 2012 - amazing time for my sons 3rd birthday

Santa Fe 12-16 Feb 2014 - truly magical, Valentines meal overlooking the fireworks at the DLP hotel ... PERFECT!

Newport Bay 23-27 Dec 2015 - I only went and got engaged ON CHRISTMAS DAY IN DISNEYLAND ❤❤❤ 1st in the park on Boxing Day too ... amazeballs

HildeKitten

Plus driving is easier all around, you can stay as long as you want and aren't bound by public transport times. And sure there may bad weather, roadworks etc, but I personally think those pale in comparison by the trouble public transport sometimes causes.