Disneyland Paris Magic Bands

Started by Aspire, July 24, 2015, 04:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aspire

Does anybody know if the Magic Bands and re-fillable mugs concept currently in operation at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida likely to make its way across the Atlantic to Disneyland Paris anytime soon.

DisneyRon

Quote from: Aspire on July 24, 2015, 04:31:52 PM
Does anybody know if the Magic Bands and re-fillable mugs concept currently in operation at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida likely to make its way across the Atlantic to Disneyland Paris anytime soon.

Soon is a relative term. ;D Is it expected that DLP will get them eventually, I'd say yes. But I couldn't give you a timeline. Nothing has been announced.

WDW was the testbed for MyMagic+ and everything that comes with it, I expect Disneyland Florida to be the next park to get it, with the others following suit in time.

I certainly don't expect DLP to roll out MyMagic+, bands and such before the silver jubilee of the park.
There's a lot of infrastructure required to make these deeply integrated systems work, so that will take time to implement.

HildeKitten

Unless TTIP is pulled through I don't see it happening as they are apparently currently against EU privacy law :)
Personally I think that's a good thing too, I would point blank refuse to use something that would track my every whereabouts in the park.
I can see how many others think they are awesome, but personally I think it's taking things a step too far.

Disneylove

I went to Disney Florida for the year 2000 celebrations, and they had the refillable drinks then. If they haven't made then over here in the past 15 years, chances are they probably never will. I've also heard there's a new french law that states that refillable drinks won't be allowed in restraunts anymore. I'm not sure when that's starting, but they definitely won't be in the parks when that comes in.

DisneyfanGermany

The whole thing is part of MyMagic plus.

I heard about a rumour (and something already comfirmed), that Disneyland Anaheim and Hong Kong Disneyland are getting this system in the next two years or so (2016,17). Disneyland paris should follow so I would expect it for 2018 or either 2017 as a birthday thing.

Fingers crossed!!
Disneyland Paris: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 (Jan.), 2014 (March), 2014 (July), 2014 (Oct.), 2015 (Jan.)
Walt Disney World: 2004
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2014 (April)

future visits: Walt Disney World (July 2015)

Instagram: marc_leder
Instagram: disneyland_paris_photos

other theme park visits: Universal Singapore, Movie Park Germany, Legoland Germany, Fort Fun, and many others!

stifle

As mentioned above, I cannot see this getting past French privacy laws.

Remco K.

Quote from: stifle on August 12, 2015, 08:53:04 AM
As mentioned above, I cannot see this getting past French privacy laws.
I don't really see the problem, they could implement the system without fingerprint scanners. I can't imagine how other aspects of MyMagic+ don't respect EU privacy laws, as the MyMagic+ app needs input given by the users (reservations for attractions and restaurants).

samuelvictor

I think the issue with privacy is because the bands are used to constantly track customers (like a gps signal) when in the parks, presumably so the data can be combined with your age, sex, address etc so they can get a clearer picture on who likes what attraction, when certain attractions are busiest, how many people gave up queuing halfway through etc etc etc. Personally, I don't mind this kind of tracking, as long as it only takes place in the parks  ::) Its highly unlikely that the bands track you outside of the parks anyway - as far as I can tell, they don't have actual gps or mobile tracking, just much cheaper to implement nfc style stuff that needs trackers every 20 meters or so, and Disney definitely haven't been sneakily installing them around Paris  ;)

If indeed there is a legal issue with them in France, it would be easy to just change the programing and only use them to store ticket data, fast passes, breakfast/meal options, perhaps payment details for shops etc. Personally speaking, I think the bands look really, really cool - my wife recently went to Florida with family and the band she brought back is awesome - I want one just to wear around the house!  :P

If they introduced the refilable cups we would 100% definitely use them. Why would these be against French laws?  ???

Remco K.

Quote from: samuelvictor on October 16, 2015, 09:04:33 AM
as far as I can tell, they don't have actual gps or mobile tracking, just much cheaper to implement nfc style stuff that needs trackers every 20 meters or so, and Disney definitely haven't been sneakily installing them around Paris  ;)
Here's some nice article about MyMagic+ and the Magic Band. It shines a light on how guests are being tracked around the resort.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/disney-magicband

nathalie

Quote from: samuelvictor on October 16, 2015, 09:04:33 AM
If they introduced the refilable cups we would 100% definitely use them. Why would these be against French laws?  ???

Because France has decided a while ago to stop doing re-fills at Quick, Burger King, and most places you get free re-fills (like Plaza Garden at DLRP).

Remco K.

Quote from: nathalie on October 16, 2015, 05:25:23 PM
Because France has decided a while ago to stop doing re-fills at Quick, Burger King, and most places you get free re-fills (like Plaza Garden at DLRP).
You'd think that a huge company like Disneyland Paris would have influence on rules like that. The resort brought some serious economical changes to the country.

nathalie

How do I know? Lol

French law is French law.
When word got out, pretty sure it was discussed on this forum aswell.

samuelvictor

Quote from: nathalie on October 16, 2015, 05:25:23 PM

Yes, but why? Laws are supposed to serve some purpose in protecting the public. Why wouldn't they just leave this up to the discretion of the businesses? I don't see why it could be considered dangerous/bad... unless its to do with reducing sugar consumtion I suppose...  :-\

stifle

Yes, it's to reduce consumption of unhealthy sugary beverages.

It is unclear whether it will be permitted to give free refills of sugar-free drinks such as Coke Zero.

samuelvictor

Ok well I guess that's admirable of the French government... but it has the knock on effect of stopping people who would only consume a sensible amount from saving money (the "buy a cup and refil it whenever you want during your stay" at Disney World goes a long way towards making a stay there mroe affordable...). Also, I feel life it shouldn't really apply in "special" places like DLRP - its not like people go there every day!  ::)

Maybe they could specify that it is limited only for high sugar/sweetener drinks, and have unlimited refils on healthy drinks?  :)