Some advice on spending...

Started by TappyFish, June 10, 2015, 03:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TappyFish

Hello again fellow magicforum users! :)

I'm sure some of you have no doubt read in my other posts that my fiancée and I are off to DLP in November this year. This will be our first trip together but by no means our first ever trip. DLP was like a second home when I was younger and I'm lucky to be able to say I've visited WDW three times. My fiancée has visited DLP twice, once with her family on a short trip and once with her school but feels that she never got to experience the magic fully. We're in need of some advice regarding spending however and was hoping some of you wonderful people might be able to offer some.

We're going for 6 days and 5 nights, staying at Disney's Hotel New York. We paid for our Eurostar tickets separately to the hotel and park package. We have breakfast included. We haven't chosen a half-board deal or anything like that however.

What we are trying to work out is how much money we should be aiming to take. Initially, we made a list of the places we'd like to eat at. We then tried to find menus online to see what the prices would be like. It seems that most online menus that I managed to find were rather out-of-date. We've not even looked at how much spending money we should be taking yet.

Can anyone suggest what is realistic amount to take to DLP for food for two adults please?

We were looking at booking BBWWS for one night, one evening at the Silver Spur Steakhouse, a few times to Annette's Diner as well as a few other places. My mum suggested we'd need around £75/€102.95 when eating at the bigger restaurants (such as the Silver Spur) and maybe half that for places such as Annette's. Does this sound about right?

We aren't clueless when it comes to money, but we're struggling to make sure we've allocated enough, especially with the seemingly lack of information about current prices for food in and around DLP. Any advice, hints and tips are greatly welcomed.

Thanks guys :D

~TappyFish~

Mileto

TappyFish, just one question before I write what I think:

Do you like eating regularly after breakfast? Lunch, dinner? Proper portions?

Or you are not so stuck to food as a passion and a goal, more like a means of surviving the day?

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

TappyFish

Quote from: Mileto on June 10, 2015, 03:20:31 PM
TappyFish, just one question before I write what I think:

Do you like eating regularly after breakfast? Lunch, dinner? Proper portions?

Or you are not so stuck to food as a passion and a goal, more like a means of surviving the day?

We enjoy food but aren't fussed about having three meals everyday. We're planning on having a proper breakfast in the hotel (as it's paid for) and dinner (in one form or another) everyday. We'd probably try and eat proper proportions for dinner and not rush it. Regarding lunch, we're not as fussed. I think we'd probably eat on the go (if at all) at lunchtime, but there might be a few days where we go to Annette's Diner or somewhere for a proper lunch.

Hope that helps some?

TappyFish

We're considering the standard half-board (for dinner), however given that we want to eat at different places, we believe that we'd be spending more than if we just "turned up" and ordered lunch/dinner on a day-by-day basis.

Mileto

Thanks. So you just like us. We tried previous years full board (too much eating, you can actually not get hungry at any moment), last year half board (but we realized we are going only to Plaza Gardens).

So for this November - December we decided to be more flexible. (2 adults, 1 child - 11 years)

One decent meal in the day will be a must, also to warm us maybe before Dreams. First day at arrival I plan Buffalo Bill. Then we can make Garden Plaza with reservation, paying there. The other days - where we decide.

So the other meal will be only when or if we need to. We always have a chocolate or biscuits. We can decide to take two menus for Hakuna Matata, or Bella Note , or ... and share it between us. Or we can go to McDonalds, or Taud Hall, but not obligatory taking 3 menus.

So I think for safety you should plan to have at least EUR 100 -EUR 110 per day of your stay.

Are these also your calculations or not exactly?

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP

TappyFish

Quote from: Mileto on June 10, 2015, 03:49:21 PM
Thanks. So you just like us. We tried previous years full board (too much eating, you can actually not get hungry at any moment), last year half board (but we realized we are going only to Plaza Gardens).

So for this November - December we decided to be more flexible. (2 adults, 1 child - 11 years)

One decent meal in the day will be a must, also to warm us maybe before Dreams. First day at arrival I plan Buffalo Bill. Then we can make Garden Plaza with reservation, paying there. The other days - where we decide.

So the other meal will be only when or if we need to. We always have a chocolate or biscuits. We can decide to take two menus for Hakuna Matata, or Bella Note , or ... and share it between us. Or we can go to McDonalds, or Taud Hall, but not obligatory taking 3 menus.

So I think for safety you should plan to have at least EUR 100 -EUR 110 per day of your stay.

Are these also your calculations or not exactly?

Looks like a good way of doing things. Thanks for sharing your idea - it really helps! :)

We're hoping to take about £500/€686 to spend on food between the both of us for the six days. We figure the first day we'll only want a dinner (as we won't be arriving till mid-afternoon) and the last day we can get away with breakfast and waiting till we get home for dinner. If we get hungry, we'll nip into McDonalds or buy some snacks somewhere.

On that basis, we only need to look at four full days worth of food. That £500/€686 can then be divided by four which gives us around £125/€171. Divide that by two and we have £62.50/€85 per person per day for food. Now, I don't think we'll be eating big everyday, so we won't be spending that amount everyday. That means some days we'll have more to spend per person so we should be able to afford to eat out. We also need to decide how much spending money we'd need in addition to the food budget. I'm not fussed about buying bits but I'm sure my fiancée will want to buy some bits here and there.

Suddenly the idea of having a cheap trip away to DLP is being overshadowed by the fact that we could have saved for Florida if we'd held off a few more months ;)

glenn

I think it depends on how much you like to eat.looking at the menu prices
it seems they price most as 3 course,and in the more expensive restaurants
it is usually 27to 30euros.
I normally just have a main course meal because that is enough for me.my wife has a main course and a sweet.
I find the food quite reasonable in dlp,it,s the drink that knocks the price up for me.

Mileto

TappyFish, I think this budget will be more than enough.

A good place for buying snacks, juice, beer at good prices is the shop at the Train Station! Only IF you buy alcohol, you won't be allowed to walk through Disney Village, have to take the shuttle to the hotel.

stifle

Quote from: glenn on June 10, 2015, 05:48:17 PM
I think it depends on how much you like to eat.looking at the menu prices
it seems they price most as 3 course,and in the more expensive restaurants
it is usually 27to 30euros.
I normally just have a main course meal because that is enough for me.my wife has a main course and a sweet.
I find the food quite reasonable in dlp,it,s the drink that knocks the price up for me.
For a 3-course table service set menu, try 38-45 euro :/

Lavi

You can also try Earl of Sandwich for lunch; besides the very good sandwiches they also have soups.

You can find their menu here: http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/dining/restaurant-menus/earl-of-sandwich/

TappyFish

Thanks all for your helpful advice and tips. I believe that we are on the right track regarding our food budget, though if we can save a little extra - just to be safe - we will. My fiancée wants to try Earl of Sandwich after watching a YouTube video, so that with Lavi's recommendation might have just given us another place to eat ;)

Disney Matt

Quote from: TappyFish on June 11, 2015, 11:03:22 AM
Thanks all for your helpful advice and tips. I believe that we are on the right track regarding our food budget, though if we can save a little extra - just to be safe - we will. My fiancée wants to try Earl of Sandwich after watching a YouTube video, so that with Lavi's recommendation might have just given us another place to eat ;)

I 2nd Earl of Sandwich :)
Buffet wise i'd say Plaza Gardens as i enjoyed it in December. Annettes is also high up my list too  :D
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

samuelvictor

I'll give a third recommendation for Earl of Sandwich, really good food, cheap (for Disney) prices, especially if you do the set price meals, and the surroundings (try to get a seat upstairs) & views are fantastic. We really loved it & would definitely eat there again. Also if on a budget, the set meal at Billy Bob's is cheap and decent, if you can combine it with the times of any of their live acts or shows you'll have a great evening :)