DLP Experience Enhancement Plan: key details revealed

Started by Anthony, June 10, 2015, 08:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

It's a big news day!

The first confirmed details of the so-called Experience Enhancement Plan have been revealed by Disneyland Paris today.

After years of rumours, ten attractions are confirmed to be receiving renovations, upgrades and even complete overhauls between now and the 25th Anniversary:

• Space Mountain: Mission 2
  • Videopolis
  • "it's a small world"
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • La Cabane des Robinson
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Animagique
  • Studio Tram Tour: Behind the Magic
  • Star Tours

To save me repeating myself on the details, check out this article I put together which summarises all the plans for each attraction and contains the pages of the press release itself:

Which enhanced attraction are you most looking forward to? Are there any missing you wish were included? Do the upgrades and enhancements announced go far enough? And are there any you might make a special visit to DLP to see one last time before it changes?

msRavenswood

I'm really looking forward to the BTM update! What I would love to see is updated effects at Phantom Manor.

As far as the rest of the rides are concerned, I'd rather they didn't add Jack Sparrow at POTC, it was the last one of all versions that had kept its original design and I really wish it stayed this way. I know a lot of people are really looking forward to this update, but they way I see it it was the ride that inspired the movies and not vice versa. Not that I'll be hating the ride from now on, but still...

Another thing that would make me go head over heels is the return of the De La Terre A La Lune theming and music at Space Mountain.

Finally, an interactive queue at Peter Pan's Flight would be more than welcome, but I'm not sure if there is enough space for the project to come into realisation.

jj554

this is absolutely wonderful news....a wide range of improvements all announced at once.
it's just so nice to hear real, confirmed news straight from DLP, amongst all the rumours and speculation.

i think this is the turnaround people have been waiting for and it's exciting to see.

my visit in Dec this year was planned to be my last for some time....but I will want to be first in line to try the new BTM so may be back sooner than planned.

absolutely thrilled to hear the studio tour is getting a revamp - it's currently tragic and the sooner Dinotopia etc. are replaced the better!

Trips so far
April 2011 - Sequoia Lodge (First ever DLRP trip)
Nov 2011 - Newport Bay Club (Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire 2011)
Sep 2012 - Hotel New York (20th Anniversary Celebrations)
Nov 2013 - Hotel Cheyenne (Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire 2013)
Dec 2015 - Disneyland Hotel (Disneyland at Christmas)

DisneyRon

The only thing I'm a little disappointed with is the news that Jack Sparrow will be coming to DLP's Pirates attraction, he's not exactly needed, and while I understand his appeal, I much prefer the original setting. To be honest I found PoTC at WDW quite disappointing compared to the version at DLP. To me this may well end up being a downgrade, rather than an upgrade.

The others excite me. I'm curious what they're going to do, and what the impact on the rides will be. :)

Rocketeer

Excellent news! DLRP is finally getting some of the TLC it needs - although there's still plenty more that needs to be done, but all in good time.

Not sure I like the idea of Cars going in the Canyon though..

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

TappyFish

Wow, it sounds like some of the attractions are finally getting the much needed attention that they need.

I'm also looking forward to the BTM update, though I'm also a little jealous for selfish reasons; the predicted closure on November 2nd would mean we arrive two days too late as we're not arriving till the 4th November. It would have been nice to have at least one ride (or more!) before it closed, especially since its been more then a decade since I lost rode it.

Honestly, I'm not fussed about Jack Sparrow being added to POTC. I understand why he is being added, and I'm sure many, many people will be thrilled that he will be there, but I wouldn't miss him if he wasn't. POTC is, and was, always one of my favourite rides. From the queueing area to the ride itself and beyond, I adored the attraction as a child and will continue to do so for many years to come - with or with Mr Sparrow.

Space Mountain was one of the first "big" coasters that I ever went on. My mum had to force me to go on it, but after I tried it, I loved it. Having not been to DLP for so long, I couldn't say if much had or hadn't changed, but I'm glad to hear it's being improved. Given that it is what we look for when we arrive at DLP by Eurostar (always one of the best bits of the holiday!), and the fact it takes up such a space in Discoveryland, I look forward to seeing it open again.

Videopolis was always a bit of a strange one for me. I remember always wanting to snap pictures of the giant airship before grabbing a large coke and watching some old Disney cartoons on the TV above the stage. I'm glad it's staying and not being changed too much.

Like BTM, IASW will also be closed during our holiday. As a child, I hated going on it. I'm not sure if it was the song, the colours or my mum's tendency to sing along which resulted in it getting stuck in your head for months. Regardless, I was actually looking forward to going on it now that I've grown up a bit. Sadly, I'm just going to have to book another trip to find out if I enjoy it yet ;)

La Cabane des Robinson is another one of those attractions that I never really cared for. Maybe that's not entirely true, but I never really appreciated it. I was all about the magic as a kid, as was my brother, and for us La Cabane des Robinson just didn't cut it. I'm sure that when we go back, I'll look upon it with a different view, and to hear that it is being renovated is nothing but good news!

Peter Pan's flight is another family favourite. I'm sure everyone will be glad that it is receiving some updates, no matter how minor.

Animagique is a fantastic attraction! My fiancée is really looking forward to experiencing this one. For me, this is the closest to the awesome T2 3-D: Battle Across Time attraction in Universal Studios that I can get to in Paris.

I was gutted when I heard that the Studio Tram Tours had closed in WDW. I've been there three times and every time it was one of the top things on my to-do list. I loved the depth that it seemed to go in, the attention to detail and that it was in English. While I appreciate that DLP's Studio Tram Tour: Behind the Magic is based in France, it would be nice to have a carriage or two give a dedicated tour in English. Maybe it's a small gripe but I think it would be greatly appreciated - I know I would!

And finally Star Tours... Perhaps my favourite queue for a ride ever! Being a Star Wars nerd since I was young, I loved Star Tours. I remember forcing mum and dad to spend a fortune in WDS after it opened as there were so many figures that I needed that I hadn't already got at home. The ride, although repetitive, was great fun. My brother used to suffer from motion sickness but he also loved this ride. Since Disney's acquisition of the Star Wars franchise, I'm hoping for great things to happen at this corner of Discoveryland.

Adam

All good news, but a shame that the Backlot rides aren't being touched as it stands. Moteurs could desperately do with a new show. However, the Studio Tram Tours news is great for the studio.

I'm always surprised at how long it takes for these works. Whilst the wise people on here will know to check for closures, I am sure plenty will be disappointed.

Finally, contrary to the opinion of a certain person, I'm delighted to see Jeremy Irons is staying! Absolute legend.

Rocketeer

Am I the only one that loves the codename? "Project Sparkle" soooo Disney.

That and it'll be easy for us forum posters to type instead of Experience Enhancement Plan (EEP). That sound more like "eep what have they done?!"

;)

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

andrewuk

Quote from: Adam on June 10, 2015, 09:27:28 PM

Finally, contrary to the opinion of a certain person, I'm delighted to see Jeremy Irons is staying! Absolute legend.

I second this, I love Jeremy Irons too. All in all great news!  ;D ;D ;D
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

ford prefect

enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

Jadefraser

Sorry to butt in but when is the last scheduled renovation due to finish? I'm guessing sometime 2017 but would love to know a month so I can save for it!

TappyFish

Quote from: ford prefect on June 10, 2015, 10:19:04 PM
Who said cinemagique is closing?

There have been rumours (nothing concrete) floating about since at least 2009 that cinemagique is due to close to be replaced by another show. I've read about it on here more than a few times.

ford prefect

Those rumours have been around for ages, but for the first time DLP have given clear information about their plans.

The earlier post was mixing wild speculation as fact!  There are no plans to close cinemagique as far as I know.  There are more viable suggestions that it will (and has) frequent updates with new scenes.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

TappyFish

Quote from: ford prefect on June 11, 2015, 08:23:08 AM
Those rumours have been around for ages, but for the first time DLP have given clear information about their plans.

The earlier post was mixing wild speculation as fact!  There are no plans to close cinemagique as far as I know.  There are more viable suggestions that it will (and has) frequent updates with new scenes.

I honestly was under the impression that it was closing, though no date had been given. Maybe I should change the way my previous post reads so as to avoid misinterpretation? I apologise :-[

DennisTinderbox

I'm very exited about this news! I hope this is a start to dragging the park back to its former glory.
DLP is still one of the best imagineered Magic Kingdoms in the world. But poorly management throughout the years let her slip into decay a bit. Although recently they're doing quite well with all the refurbishments. So I'm feeling confident that with a bit of hard work they could pull it of! :)

However, I still wonder:

-Will Space Mountain really be restored to be more like La terre de la lune?
The only specific things mentioned are the lighting, safety, new coaches, and a revamp of the exterior decors. I hope they'll bring back mission 1 because it was so much more immersive and fitting with the rest of Discoveryland.

-New color palette for the facade of It's a Small World.
What do you guys think? Will it be more vibrantly colored, or more soothing pastel taints? Or maybe even White and gold like Anaheim's. :o

- Big Thunder Mountain
The eardrum shattering antirollback on the lifthills always bothered me. Now they are planning on special effects in there, I certainly hope they will do something about the noise. I've done enough Vekoma beasts to know they can be quite silent. (Both Python and Revolution, though older, purr like a kitten in comparison to BTM.)

- Cap'n Jack joins the Pirates of the Caribbean
For once I'm not sure how to feel about this. Just like StarTours I am proud we still have the "original" versions.
But on the other hand, time does move on. And so do peoples expectations. I can fully understand the disappointment from guests expecting jolly ol' Jack waving his cutlass in the face of Barbosa. As long as they don't change to much of the original ride (music & decors), the crew of the Black Pearl is very welcome.

So, what are your expectations or hopes for the refurbishments? And do you think putting the parks in a crazy buildmode for several years is a wise decision?
When you do good things, I believe good things happen to you. - Walt Disney