Is it Wrong to Not Tell the Kids We're Going to DLP??!

Started by Sulley's Arms, February 06, 2015, 10:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sulley's Arms

Hi All

Just saw the 'How many sleeps until..' post and it got me thinking that we're actually going in March but we're not telling the kids until nearer the time.  Is this just wrong??

When we tell them we want them to be excited, but also to stay excited, so if we announce it too soon, it might just become less special.

What do you guys do?!
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

A&S&O

Quote from: Sulley's Arms on February 06, 2015, 10:05:46 AM
Hi All

Just saw the 'How many sleeps until..' post and it got me thinking that we're actually going in March but we're not telling the kids until nearer the time.  Is this just wrong??

It depends if you're taking them with you or if you're having a sneaky trip on your own!
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Mrsya

My 4 year old couldn't have handled more than a 30 sleeps countdown. We do a 60 sleep countdown now he's older and it's one of the most exciting parts - the build up, the discussions about what rides to go on etc. We do a calendar and a paper chain that we rip a link off every day. It's totally up to you how you reveal it and when - I've heard of people who wait until the day!

daddyof2

It's not wrong at all - you know if your kids can cope with knowing and not getting overexcited. We didn't tell ours last year and it didn't affect their enjoyment

Aurora1

There is no right or wrong! Only you know your kids.!
With my daughter, we did both ways. When she was about 6 or 7, we didn`t tell her until the day we travelled. Man, I still remember the look on her face!
When she got older, she loved to be involved in the planning. She is 14 now and we`ll do a trip to WDW. And are picking out and reserving restaurants right now!

SwipatronSparks

having been on both sides of the coin (surprise trips and ones known about months in advance) i think that when they are younger the closer to the trip the better it is, too long and theres a chance they will 'forget' (not quite the right word but what i mean is they could just let slip in their minds of how long there is till they go on holiday) they are going and the excitement will wear off a little but then come back full force when you start packing. but then when they are older and more able to have an input in the planning aspect eg. where to eat, maybe they have a favourite hotel etc. then telling them further in advance is just as exciting because they can have that input.
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

Zee79

Its up to you as a family how and when you tell them. I always tell mine in advance- once we have booked up, usually in some kind of interesting way. We went at New Year so I 'got' Olaf to let them know, my nephew came with us and Buzz 'told' him. However my brother did not let us know he was joining us as a surprise on New Years Eve. My sister in law got my 2 nieces (age 4) up at midnight and told them they were going to the park, it didn't dawn on them until they arrived at the Hotel Cheyenne, they thought they were going to one of our local parks haha so got excited then.

Do whatever you feel is right for you.

DisneyMichelle

I am going with my friend and her 4 year old in a couple weeks and we are not telling him anything untill we are 5 mins away. We will tell him we are going on a trip for the day somewhere special and then when we are very close we will reveal to him and get him to look out for the road signs for Disney.

He has been asking to go every time he sees the tv adverts so this will be really special for him! cant wait!! :)
I was once told to have a happy place in your mind for when times get hard. Disneyland Paris is my happy place. :)

Beltane

We booked our trip (27th of March) long before Christmas as a present for our daughter. The cost for the 3 of us, tickets, flights and accommodation  was the same as the school trip they had planned (coach, ferry, one day in the park) which she really didn't want to go on.

Keeping that a secret until Christmas day was a nightmare, but so worth it. I'm sure that keeping it quiet will pay off in the end. Have a fab trip!   

Susiesuedisney

I wish we had kept it secret for a lot longer............now they keep asking every time we speak to them....."when are we going to Disney?"...... We aren't going until July!!!!

Making an advent type Disney calendar for the 24 days leading up to when we go

stecal

I booked my next trip over a year ago but didn't tell the 2 youngest until xmas, i made them a four week countdown each with a disney character on each day so they know when we are going and get to cross it off each day.

ThriftyJenni

I told my daughter who is 4 because I needed to be excited with someone haha! My husband is excited but not like me and our daughter haha!!

sarahh83

1st visit i booked it in the june and we went in the december, i stupidly told my 2 year old boy and every single day he asked if we were going!

2nd visit we didnt tell him til we were 20 mins away from arriving, he squealed the entire 20 mins until we pulled on to the santa fe car park

3rd visit booked for 23-27 december this year .... not telling him!! my best friend and her partner are coming with us this time, i think having them in the car will throw him off the scent .... we are planning to give him a present in the car from santa,saying that santa left it at their house .... he'll open it to be told hes going to disney as santa knows how much he has wanted to go again
First visit to DLP but stayed in Paris in 1993 just after DLP opened - aged 10!!

Cheyenne 13-17 Dec 2012 - amazing time for my sons 3rd birthday

Santa Fe 12-16 Feb 2014 - truly magical, Valentines meal overlooking the fireworks at the DLP hotel ... PERFECT!

Newport Bay 23-27 Dec 2015 - I only went and got engaged ON CHRISTMAS DAY IN DISNEYLAND ❤❤❤ 1st in the park on Boxing Day too ... amazeballs

disneymagic006

We travel on Easter Monday. We are gonna do an easter Egg hunt at home on Easter Sunday with disney clues which will lead to a big announcement that we are going to Disney and some disney goodies each - ears, notebook, drink bottle. Kids are ages 6, 3, 2 & 1. Hoping they love it!
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

daddyof2

Quote from: disneymagic006 on February 08, 2015, 02:53:07 PM
We travel on Easter Monday. We are gonna do an easter Egg hunt at home on Easter Sunday with disney clues which will lead to a big announcement that we are going to Disney and some disney goodies each - ears, notebook, drink bottle. Kids are ages 6, 3, 2 & 1. Hoping they love it!

That sounds great - our youngest was nearly 2 but we thought our eldest (nearly 4 at the time) might realise what was going on. Despite them both being dressed head to toe in Mickey and Minnie Mouse on the day we left, and a lady at St Pancras nearly putting her foot in it, there was no realisation until we got the luggage tags on the train and she recognised the logo.