Quick 5 minute mid-trip report!

Started by MummytoaPrincess, December 19, 2014, 11:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MummytoaPrincess

Hello, well tonight is night 3 of our 5 night/6 day stay in Hotel New York. First time staying in HNY, have visited 4 times previously and stayed in Sante Fe before. Our "party" is made up of just myself and my 7 year old daughter. We travelled with Full Board Plus vouchers also.

I said 5 minutes, so I will keep it brief! I should also add we haven't made it to Studios yet. Not sure how, but we have spent all of our time in the Park, although today was cut short by heavy rain!

The Highs so far...
*Disney Dreams - amazing, watched it every night!
*Our amazing Plaza room which is on the 5th floor and lines up with the midline of the lake. Stunning.
*The Steakhouse and The Manhattan - 2 - places I have never eaten before and didn't plan to, but as everything else was booked it seems, we went to these. In fact the Steakhouse was so good (and so quiet) we have now eaten there twice. In three days :)
*The weather. Ok it rained today, but considering it is mid December, we didn't even wear jumpers let alone coats for most of Thursday!
*Seeing my daughter lost for words at Auberge de Cendrillon. A few months ago it seemed she was getting too old for princesses. Apparently she isn't too old for them any more :D
*Breakfast. Amazing. We went down at 8.30ish the last couple of days, despite being told at check in that this was "peak" time for breakfast. Both days we walked straight in, were seated straight away and it was all very civilised. We ate breakfast at New York City Bar, not sure if this made a difference!

The Lows (sadly there are a couple!)
*Cafe Mickey. Despite having a reservation we queued for 45 minutes before being let in. Half of that time was spent at the front of the queue while they called people out from behind us. When we were finally seated at half a table, squashed next to another lady and her son with about 3 inches between the tables. After being ignored for a further half hour without anyone coming to take our order or anything, we gave up, got up and left. Grrrrr.
*General rudeness of some staff - We decided to try Parkside Diner tonight. Didn't have a reservation but thought we would go and see, and if not go to The Manhattan again as that was quiet. Well, the cast member we spoke to was just so rude! He reserved us a table at 9pm, which I said was fine, then he suggested that if that wasn't good enough then we should use room service instead. Pointed out I had already said that 9pm was fine, and that having paid a lot of money for the vouchers, I had no intention of paying for more meals on top of that!
*Auberge de Cendrillon - yes this was in the highs as well. The food was nice, but nothing like as high quality or as beautifully presented as the last time I went there, which was about 4 years ago. It was just a bit disappointing from my point of view. But they won't make any changes for the better - I arrived on Wednesday and tried to book a slot, only to be told it was fully booked right through until after we leave on Monday!

Ok that is all for now. We are off to Paris tomorrow, escaping the parks for a day. I anticipate that the parks will be ridiculously busy this weekend, so going to minimise that by escaping tomorrow, for a few hours at least!

Dec 2014 Hotel New York 6 days/5 nights
Jan 2012 Bitterly cold day trip!
Feb 2011 Santa Fe 3 days/2 nights
Dec 2009 Santa Fe 4 days/3 nights
Jan 2009 Santa Fe 5 days/4 nights
NY 2001/2002 Disneyland California and California Adventure  4days/3nights

daddyof2

Nice little report-ette. Sad to read about your dining problems - was Café Mickey at lunch or dinner time? It's quite understandable to me why you'd spend so much time in the main park, with so much to do there (particularly with a 7 year old who I assume can go on just about everything).

littlebitofpixiedust

Lovely trip report so far! Love HNY :)
If you havnt tried inventions in the Disneyland hotel it maybe worth a try. We were surprised, the character interaction is fab just like cafe mickeys. But a little more quieter probably because of the price lol. Have a magical time!

MummytoaPrincess

We had a fab time on the whole, with just the one or two little problems. Once the madness of Christmas is out of the way I will write up a proper trip report with many, many, many photos

Dec 2014 Hotel New York 6 days/5 nights
Jan 2012 Bitterly cold day trip!
Feb 2011 Santa Fe 3 days/2 nights
Dec 2009 Santa Fe 4 days/3 nights
Jan 2009 Santa Fe 5 days/4 nights
NY 2001/2002 Disneyland California and California Adventure  4days/3nights