Full-Board Meal Plan - is it worth it?

Started by Sammy6, September 13, 2014, 09:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammy6

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of upgrading the meal plan I've booked from half board to full board.  Have any of you gone full board before and would you recommend it?  I'm torn as I don't really need two large meals each day, yet I like the idea of having all the meals paid for in advance (also means my OH can't insist on eating picnic lunches outside in the freezing cold!). I can't work out whether counter service restaurants are included and if they are, whether it would be cost effective to eat at them.  We've gone for the 'plus' option.  This will be the first holiday I've been on since having the kids (nearly 7 years) where we haven't self-catered, and I can' tell you how excited I am about eating out in the various Disney restaurants, so I really do want to make the most of it. 

Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

DisneyRon

I've done Full Board Plus in 2012, and will be doing Full Board Premium starting tomorrow. ;)

Personally, I haven't looked at the actual cost, I did it on both occasions for convenience.
Just visit the restaurant you want and pay with a voucher, however to make the higher plans cost-effective I imagine you'll need to do a little planning, as it's mainly the Table Service Restaurants that'll use the full value of your vouchers. However many of the hotel Buffet Restaurants are also part of the Plus plan, and not covered by the Standard plan. ;)

I can heartily recommend the Blue Lagoon or Walt's on your Plus plan btw, lovely food. :D

All restaurants listed under the "Plus" column on the following site are free game for your Plus plan vouchers:
http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/dining/meal-plans/

The only restaurants excluded are L'Auberge de Cendrillon, California Grill, Inventions and Buffalo Bill's show (but you can use your vouchers here as partial payment, though I'm not sure with Buffalo Bill's).

Also, restaurants not owned and operated by Disney are entirely excluded from the plan, so Rain Forest Café, Earl of Sandwich, Planet Hollywood etc. can't be used on your plan, and your vouchers aren't valid there.

Sammy6

You must be sooooo excited!  Have a fantastic time.

Mileto

Last year we had full board standart and it was more than enough and confinient. We ate in the evenings with reservation i Garden plaza and the hotel restaurant at Santa Fe, at lunch we used the counter restaurants - Hathi's, Hakuna Matata, Belle , Taud Hall, Chalet marionette. You have plenty of choice and the idea of advanced payment and no money to worry about was super.

This year we got in the offer half board plus + afternoon drink and sweet. It is also Ok.

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

Queen Elsa

We just came back and had a full board plus meal plan! I think it was definitely worth it as it gave us a couple of hours break mid-day to rest. Our kids are only 13 months and 3 1/2 so a break was good x

DisneyRon

Like Elsa I also came back recently (went from the 14th until the 18th) and was on a Full Board Premium plan, it worked out great, although I did once meet some resistance trying to pay for a meal at Hakuna Matata with my Premium Voucher, as it was worth more than twice what the meal cost. ;)

Dined twice at the California Grill and Inventions, went to Buffalo Bill's show, had lunch at L'Auberge, lunch à la carte at Walt's. :D All covered by the vouchers (with the exception of the 2nd visit to the California Grill).

Queen Elsa

Quote from: DisneyRon on September 20, 2014, 09:47:28 PM
Like Elsa I also came back recently (went from the 14th until the 18th) and was on a Full Board Premium plan, it worked out great, although I did once meet some resistance trying to pay for a meal at Hakuna Matata with my Premium Voucher, as it was worth more than twice what the meal cost. ;)

Dined twice at the California Grill and Inventions, went to Buffalo Bill's show, had lunch at L'Auberge, lunch à la carte at Walt's. :D All covered by the vouchers (with the exception of the 2nd visit to the California Grill).

We were there the exact same time!!! Wasn't the weather beautiful!! 😁

DisneyRon

Quote from: Queen Elsa on September 20, 2014, 11:05:12 PM
We were there the exact same time!!! Wasn't the weather beautiful!! 😁

The weather was almost perfect, a little too humid for my taste, but the temperatures were as good as it gets. :)
Not too hot, not too much wind, just wonderful.