Facts & Secrets

Started by mstaft, March 24, 2007, 04:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Moved to The Resort, I think it'd be better here.

Great topic! :D

Riebi

The buildings of Main Street, USA, were built with the idea of "leaving the park" in mind. All the buildings on Main Street were built using an optical illusion that utilizes making one end of a building slightly shorter than the other end. By using this method of construction, Disneyland created an effect that you don't notice until your tired family leaves the park. The next time you enter the Disneyland Park, make note of the distance that it appears you have to travel to get to the hub. Then look at the exit of the park from the hub. That's correct. The distance appears to be shorter entering the park than exiting. The intention was to keep guests from wanting to take the long walk out. Try this the next time you are there.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

disneymadchris

All of the Disney castles around the world face to the North so that people wanting to take photos from Main Street could get a nice picture without any shadow.

Lordofthemightybeasts

The Main Street Transportion Co. building features identical architectural elements to the Disneyland Resort's Sleeping Beauty's Castle- it's kind of hard to explain, anyone with pictures to compare would be useful.

Next to the exit sign of Au Chalet de la Marionnette you will notice Figaro (the cat from Pinocchio) painted on the wall giving the thumbs up. When designing the original Disneyland version of this restaurant the imagineers forgot to include exit signs. So when the restaurant was built the exit sign had to be placed off centre from the exit. In a touch of 'pure imagineering' Figaro was painted on the wall pulling the sign by a rope, accounting for it being offset. When it was built in Disneyland Paris the imagineers got the sign perfectly centred and, in a nod to the previous version, painted on a clearly delighted Figaro.

Near the end of the queue for Pirates Of The Caribbean you enter the large Blue Lagoon building where the loading area and first ride scenes are located. As the queue descends towards the boarding area you can see a large wooden figurehead of a woman poking over the wall. If you pay attention in the Blue Lagoon scene at the start of the ride (or are particularly tall), you can see that this figurehead actually extends from one side of the large broken ship you pass through the middle of.

suzie

wow really interesting all these sevrets, I'm def gonna write them down and see if I can find them next time I go.

I'm trynna think of a secret myself
"Cause I found some kind of fairy...tale"

suzie

I'm guessing most of you peole already know this but just in case,
if you look up at the Videopolis you'll see two big round windows facing space mountain, initially these big round holes were build to make a connection with spacemountain

mstaft

This is fun- I do remember the Mr. Toad portrait in the restaurant changing from one unique style to another.

adamguy_6

At night, have a look at Phantom Manor. If you look closely, you will see a faint candle light from inside, wandering from window to window. This is supposed to be the bride, candle in hand, searching for her long lost love.
Once Upon A Time...

Maarten

Quote from: "disneymadchris"All of the Disney castles around the world face to the North so that people wanting to take photos from Main Street could get a nice picture without any shadow.

I'm afraid thats not completely true. Although Walt Disney wanted this, the only two castles in the world that really face to the south are Sleeping Beauty Castle in California and Cinderella Castle in Orlando. The others, even our Le Chateau isn't facing straight to the south.

- Another detail I heard about is the color of Cowboy Cookout Barbecue in Frontierland. The color on one side of the building is more faded then on the other side. The Imagineers wanted this on purpose because that way it would look like the building was aging because of the sun and wind in the Wild Wild West.  :wink:

- According to the story, the Imagination Institute in Discoveryland is only one of the 3 satellite branches over the world. The original Imagination Institute is at Epcot. The satellite branches of the Imagination Institute are at Tomorrowland in California, Disoveryland in Paris and the now closed branche at Tomorrowland in Tokyo. The Imagination Institute was founded many years ago by Dr. Nigel Channing's grandfather. The grandfather inherited a vast sum of money from his father, who was an inventor. To pay homage to his father's, and his family's, inventive nature, he formed the Imagination Institute. The Institute has always been a family operation. Nigel's father, Neville, took over the running of the Institute after his grandfather retired. When Neville retired, he passed onto Nigel. Dr. Channing enjoys the inventive atmosphere, but also has a serious streak about him. After all, this is his family's legacy, and he would like the Institute to be taken seriously by the scientific community.

(according to //http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagination_Institute_%28place%29) :P

RnRCj

On Rock n Roller Coaster, if you look to the right straight after the corkscrew you should be able to see a control room where all the lights are controlled :D I always forget when I ride it.

tubbsy

You mean you're supposed to ride it with your eyes open? :lol: I just sing (Very badly) at the top of my voice with my eyes shut! So theres not much chance of me seeing that secret!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

RnRCj

Quote from: "tubbsy"I just sing (Very badly) at the top of my voice with my eyes shut!

Ah! So it was you sitting behind me on my last visit :P

tubbsy

Ah you never know! Was the woman also crying and screaming "How much longer?" and "How the ~cough!~ did I let you talk me into this?" :D

Saying that. I cant WAIT to ride it again when we go back. I was very proud of myself for doing it and bored everyone to death with the photo of me with my eyes shut!

Anyone know of any hidden Mickeys around the place that Robert (4) could look out for? I know there are obvious ones all over the place. Has anyone spotted them somewhere bizarre?

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

suzie

Quote from: "tubbsy"You mean you're supposed to ride it with your eyes open? :lol: I just sing (Very badly) at the top of my voice with my eyes shut! So theres not much chance of me seeing that secret!

I that too! I always leave that right with a soar throat (well actually I leave most roaller coasters with a soar throat ahah)

RnRCj

Quote from: "tubbsy"Anyone know of any hidden Mickeys around the place that Robert (4) could look out for? I know there are obvious ones all over the place. Has anyone spotted them somewhere bizarre?

There's one in Phantom Manor's garden: //http://infinity-elite.com/hauntedwebsite/happyhaunts/images/did_you_know/hidden_mickey_garden.jpg

And Space Mountain: //http://family.webshots.com/photo/1138436007055205663ogsqTn