Sketch to reality - worth €75??

Started by Mrsya, June 18, 2014, 12:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrsya

I'm trying to decide between Sketch to Reality and 20 years of Dreams... Is €75 the cheapest I'll find Sketch. Website says free shipping worldwide but it's 60+15...

Recommendations please! Thanks muchly!

DLRP Roundup!

Both are very good, sketch has far better pictures and 20 years has deeper content.
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

Mrsya

Thought someone might say that... Am I better off buying from dlrp when I go in October or is there a website somewhere that I've not found for a bargain...

DLRP Roundup!

Sketch is only online.

20 years is in DLP, I've not seen bargain on it either.
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

captain rocket

They are two very different books in my opinion. Sketch to Reality is very rich on pictures of concept art and things that are and things that might have been! 20 years is a typical formulaic Disney book, very welcome as Paris is particularly badly served by official Disney books in my opinion, but more like a 20 year travelogue.
If I had to choose one or the other it would be sketch to reality and although people have said it is available in the parks, I have not seen it there since the reprint. In all fairness though I have'nt been looking for it!
When it was being touted for reprint it was announced that Disney were not going to stock it, which must have been disapointing for the author and this is probably the reason that it is not available discounted as I believe he is the only source for this volume. Perhaps other members can confirm if it is now on sale at the parks?
Another alternative would be to buy both!

msRavenswood

I love "From Sketch to Reality"! It offers great photos of the park and concept art!

never2old

Sketch... is a beautiful book and a must read for a DLP fan.

Mrsya

Thanks everyone. Sketch is available on Alain's blog for €75 and dlp mail order have 20th anniversary book for €62 including postage. I know I'd love them both but haven't spent that much on a book, ever - and I've bought a lot of books!

captain rocket

Given the prices you quote, Sketch represents better value in my opinion.

never2old

Oh yes, much better value!! Don't doubt it, go for Sketch.

mnewcourt

A&S&O

Did anyone see the copy on ebay signed by one of the imagineers - with sketch of Orbitron?

Looked awesome, but very expensive!
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Rocketeer

Sketch is an excellent book. I'm just shocked it costs €75 now. I'm sure mine was something like €45.. but still its a great souvenir.

EDIT: Just looked, I've still got the price sticker on the back - yeah it was "45 Euros" (I guess DLP hadn't quite figured out where the € was on the keyboard yet! ;) )

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

captain rocket

The original price was set by Disney and was based on their buying power. The book then went out of print and the author arranged a reprint,  at his own expense I believe, and then Disney said that they would not stock it (I don't know if that still holds true) So I guess that the printing costs were considerably higher for the reprint than the original. I believe that it still represents good value and stands as one of, if not the best, published books about our park.

A&S&O

Resurrecting an old thread because I've just spotted a used copy on ebay - current price £21. Ends at 15.43 UK time today.

No affiliation to the auction, just hoping it might help someone out.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?