Disney Characters

Started by andlorna, February 11, 2014, 07:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andlorna

Just read that from Nov 2014 Disney Characters will no longer meet and greet guests in any of the Disneyland hotels :(....... is this true if so bad move Disney
PREVIOUS VISITS,
Oct 06, Santa fe 3 days
Oct 07, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 08, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 09, Sequoia 4 days
Dec 09 New Year
Oct 10, Cheyenne 4 days
April 11, Cheyenne 4 days
Feb 13, Cheyenne 5 days
Feb 14, Cheyenne 5 days
Oct 14 Hipark 4 days
Nov 14 Hipark 4 days
Feb 15 Santa Fe 5 days
May 15 Hipark 4 days
Augt 15 Hipark 5 days
Feb 16 Cheyenne 5 days
April 16 Hipark 5 days
Aug 16 Hipark 5 days
Oct 16 Hipark 5 days
Dec 16 Sequoia new year
Next Trip
Oct 17 Hipark 5 days

zaza

Really? I hope it's not true :o

Aurora1

Really??? That would be a shame!
Where did you read that?

Gemma W

Oh I hope jot I loved meeting the characters at the hotel and also visiting the pink hotel for decent of the stairs x

andlorna

Quote from: zaza on February 11, 2014, 07:45:56 PM
Really? I hope it's not true :o

its on a site on twitter and facebook called InsideDLParis
PREVIOUS VISITS,
Oct 06, Santa fe 3 days
Oct 07, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 08, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 09, Sequoia 4 days
Dec 09 New Year
Oct 10, Cheyenne 4 days
April 11, Cheyenne 4 days
Feb 13, Cheyenne 5 days
Feb 14, Cheyenne 5 days
Oct 14 Hipark 4 days
Nov 14 Hipark 4 days
Feb 15 Santa Fe 5 days
May 15 Hipark 4 days
Augt 15 Hipark 5 days
Feb 16 Cheyenne 5 days
April 16 Hipark 5 days
Aug 16 Hipark 5 days
Oct 16 Hipark 5 days
Dec 16 Sequoia new year
Next Trip
Oct 17 Hipark 5 days

kate87

Sadly true  :'(

Very poor decision from disney. What are the real benefits of staying on site now? There's plenty of other hotels providing free shuttles & you can be in val d'europe in less time than it takes to get to santa fe/cheyenne.

Characters add much needed disney feel to the hotels. Without it they're not left with much x

Aurora1

Quote from: kate87 on February 12, 2014, 10:14:09 AM
Sadly true  :'(

Very poor decision from disney. What are the real benefits of staying on site now? There's plenty of other hotels providing free shuttles & you can be in val d'europe in less time than it takes to get to santa fe/cheyenne.

Characters add much needed disney feel to the hotels. Without it they're not left with much x

totall agree.On a rainy morning it is great to walk by the hotels and meet the characters!
I hop, if this is really going to be true, that they would let more characters roam the parks.

Mitchell

This also looks like it means goodbye to all the great costumes the characters have (Sequioa, Sailing, New York, Cowboy, Mexican etc) and also probably goodbye to Hyacinth, Launchpad and Max Goof who all meet now and again at the big two.

Im not happy about this but I think I'll wait until I've calmed down about the news before I comment :p
Jun 2004, Dec 2006, Mar 2015, Aug 2015, Oct 2015, Feb 2016, Mar 2016, April 2016, June 2016, August 2016, October 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, June 2017, October 2017, December 2017

Next trip: June and July 2017

Princess Chloe

I think its very sad news. There seem to be making too many cut backs now and its spoiling the whole experience. I'm going 8th September so now I'm going to make it my mission to go to all the Disney hotels and have my photo done before they stop the meet and greets. I think they have made a big mistake in stopping this. It was so much easier to meet the characters in the hotels without the pushing and shoving like in the parks now its just going to be a one for all in the parks with people trying to get to the characters. :(

SVioletS

Actually now in the parks character meets and greets now have organized queue lines. This started a while ago and it worked really well! ;) one good news!

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

daddyof2

Impromptu/bonus character meets are an important part of the experience as far as I'm concerned - let's hope there's a rethink

pialykke

Those of you who have met characters in other hotels - how do you do it? Do you go round every hotel on your first day to check which characters are there? Or would they know at City Hall?
And is it roughly at the same time every day? I've only been once, and only met characters at our own hotel - but if they are the same characters this year, then I'd rather go somewhere else......
Such a shame they are axing characters at the hotels... I hope this means more characters in the actual parks... Guess we'll have to wait and see...

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

polar vixen

When we've stayed at Davy Crockett its been great, there's rarely been a character standing in the photo point, but we bumped into robin hood in the shop one year, which was fantastic, and saw pluto walking near the critter coral, it was brilliant, my kids mobbed him, he knelt down as they all ran to give him a hug and nearly knocked him over, but there was no-one else around, and he messed around with them for a few minutes, it ws really special and stood out in my head far better than any of the other character meets.  Glad we're going in september, so hopefully something similiar will happen one last time

Sulley's Arms

We've also had great character interaction at the Crockett Ranch over the past few years.

On our first ever DLP trip we checked-in, walked down to the pool and Goofy was milling around the pool reception area with his towel! Later we ate in Crockett's Tavern and Chip & Dale were signing outside and doing photos.

The next evening Goofy appeared in the little square outside the Trading Post and hosted a dance class, which we just turned up at the right time for, and best of all I had the video camera to keep that cherished memory!

We've had a number of character meets over the years, always with the characters in different costumes, which they would never wear in the parks, which definitely makes those moments and memories even more special.

If the news is true that this small but sentimentally important highlight is about to cease, I agree that we may as well stay at the Adagio, for example, as a far cheaper bed for the night.
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

haribosmum

pialykke - the characters are always in the hotels at breakfast time (well certainly in HNY and DLH when I've stayed there) from about 8 - 10.  Sometimes they have an itinerary of who will be there for each half hour slot.  It's mostly for the guests as you walk into or out of breakfast but anyone could go in there to see them.   On our first morning last year my 5 year old gave the biggest hug to Pluto and it made me melt.  She was so excited he was in our hotel!

Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20