pre paid debit/credit cards.

Started by clarybell, March 01, 2014, 06:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarybell

Any advice on which is best. We have been given a large amount of euros to cover food and drink for the 4 days we are thete and along with our own spending money i am feeling very uncomfortable with the amount. Dont want to use our own bank cards as they charge so just wondered if one of the prepaid ones woukd be better. Can they be usd at disney? Has anyone had any problems.? Does the newport bay rooms have a safe? Any other suggestions please?

bad-pink-tink

I used a prepaid card on last years holiday to America and I plan to use it again this year. I got one from the Irish Post Office and put a bit on it every week. The Irish Post Office don't charge commission on foreign currencies. I had to fill in a form with my details including my National Security number and show two forms of ID, one of which had to be photo ID.

Once the money is loaded onto the card you just use it the same as a normal credit / debit card. My one is a Mastercard but I'm sure there are Visa ones too, it just depends on who you get it from.

My card is a chip and pin and can be used anywhere that displays the Mastercard sign. In America I used it in shops, petrol stations,to get tickets at tourist attractions.

It is not advised to use it to book hotels or car hire with , as they will usually put the booking deposit on hold on your card and that amount will be temporarily unavailable.

If something happens and you loose the card or it is stolen, it is the same procedure as with a normal debit / credit card. You just ring the emergency phone number and they will cancel the card and transfer any remaining balance to a new card.

Just make sure the prepaid card you get is for the country and currency you need, not your local currency. For example, I'm Irish and we have Euros but my prepaid card is for America and the only currency on it is US dollars. When I top up at the post office, for example, I will give in 50 Euros and they will convert that to US dollars and then put whatever amount in dollars on the card.

I can't see any issue using a prepaid card in Disney, as long as you use it in places which accept regular credit/debit cards.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Slimy yet satisfying

Had no problems using thomas cook pre paid card anywhere in disney. We just topped it up each pay day which gave us a lovely sum to spend on niceties when we were there. If there is not a safe in your room hotel reception has one for which you are either given a keycode, key or token depending on the individual hotel. Whichever it has USE IT! We have been robbed at Santa Fe Seqouia Dream Castle Kyriad and Davy Crockett of some small things each time and once a camera and iphone stolen which we stupidly left on charge whilst having breakfast. Dont leave anything to chance the hotels are too big with too many guests and staff to ever get your things back. Wasting a day of your hols at the local police station filling in french forms is depressing and unlikely to keep that disney feeling intact for the rest of your holiday.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.