hotel choice - on or off site versus quality?

Started by gemmah, December 31, 2013, 03:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemmah

Dear all - Can anyone help please?

I'm taking my 3 year old son and 78 year old father next October but I've looked at a lot of the tripadvisor reviews and am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of the actual DisneyLand hotels (DL, NY or Sequoia Golden Forest), or partner hotels - Circus probably.
DL hotels all look a bit 70s decor and outdated, and many reviews suggest service and quality isn't as good as you pay for.Has anyone done both, and if so, can you say which was more convenient, comfortable etc please?  I think we'll be going on Eurostar in October 14 without car.Any advice welcome.ThanksGemma

Aurora1

I can only comment on the onsite hotels, never stayed off site.
Sequoia GFC has renovated rooms, DLH , it`s beautiful, close to the park. HNY was fine, but not one of my favorites.

amanda08

I have to say that reveiws of DLH saying its dated always make me laugh. The hotel is supposed to look the way it does and I personally think it is beautiful! If money is not an issue, I would pick this hotel over all the rest every time. It is literally over the entrance to the park so for you elderly father (if he as any mobility issues at all) would be perferct. And of course if you want to go and rest for a bit, its right there.

We have also stayed in the SL and really love this hotel too. Its a nice walk to the park, very recently renovated and the themeing is super cosy.

We stayed in the Magic Circus for  night in october and are staying there again in June for  nights and enjoyed this hotel too. It was very calm, breakfast was great. room in good condition etc. the only thing I dont like is having to get the shuttle bus to and from the parks which can be a free for all. Fine for me and my son and if I was looking after an elderly person I may be a bit nervous about this. Even more so if you are taking a pushchair for your son

My personal choice given your circumstances would be either SL or DLH depending on budget and mobility.  Both are lovely hotels.

Rapunzel1

Depends. If you just want to visit the park and then return to your hotel. Then off site is fine.

But if you like to return to your hotel. For a break or to swim. Or prepare for dinner then on site is so much nicer. You can just  go back to your hotel and if you walk to the park again.

And dated? We stayed in August in Newport Bay. That is probably the most dated hotel but we loved it. Our room was clean and very large. Free internet. A very nice breakfast.

We also visited the other hotels to compare. We also like sequoia lodge (but i didn't like all the separate buildings), cheyenne and the disneyland hotel. Hotel new york appeared to us more like a business hotel. It wasn't very welcoming. Santa fe looked like a motel.

ed-uk

The Hotel New York does look more like a business hotel and it was built with a conference centre ( The Newport Bay Club also has a conference centre but that was built after the hotel). We like The Hotel New York a lot, it's meant to re-create the New York atmosphere of the 1930's. Because it's one of the smaller Disney hotels it never feels as crowded. It's also handy for Disney Village and the parks and would be my first choice after the DLH but for the price.
We've stayed at the Sequoia Lodge the most, seven times now, but i would rather stay in the main hotel than the lodges. In good weather it's a nice walk to the parks.
We always stay at the Disney hotels because we find it more convenient for the parks and we are happy to pay extra for that. Having never stayed at the partner hotels i cannot compare, I've heard that they are cheaper and i think you need to decide what your budget is and how much you want to pay.
If i was booking a holiday with an elderly relative ( depending on how fit they are) and very young children i would seriously consider staying at one of the nearer hotels no further away than the Sequoia Lodge for comfort. It's a theme park holiday and we don't go there for a rest, so if people are feeling tired and want a rest they don't have too far to go to get to their hotel.
Ed & David

daddyof2

I've only been once, staying at HNY (which we're doing with a 3 year old and a 4 year old for THEIR first visit in June). Whilst the non-Disney hotels are generally cheaper than the Disney ones, there's obviously a benefit by being close. As you're going by Eurostar, you've probably sussed that the DLH is virtually right outside the station AND on the doorstep of DLP so is far and away the most convenient. Convenience and luxury comes at a price of course, so I would advise (not that informed I know) staying at any of HNY, NBC or SQL so that a walk - weather permitting - from DLP is do-able for all of you.

gemmah

Thank you all for so much useful advice.  On-site it is! Now to choose which on-site hotel... Gemma

And is it worth paying for a pre-meal HB package in advance or do you end up spending less when paying as you go?

G

DLRP Roundup!

Quote from: gemmah on January 02, 2014, 01:26:21 PM
Thank you all for so much useful advice.  On-site it is! Now to choose which on-site hotel... Gemma

And is it worth paying for a pre-meal HB package in advance or do you end up spending less when paying as you go?

G

The meal plans are definitely worth it in my opinion, no hassle to use and it almost encourages you to be more adventurous with the offerings ;)
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

never2old

Hotel New York would be my first choice for staying onsite (I'm excluding the Disneyland Hotel because of the price, but watch out for special offers, if you get a good price, go for it)

The New York feel very quiet compared to the other hotels, probably because it's smaller, but after a long day in the parks it feel like heaven. Breakfast is excellent (and never too busy); and we always seem to end up going for room service for dinner, it's just so convenient!! Plus it's not too far to walk from the parks, so if you want to pop in for a break during the day, it's easy. Oh, and they have the best bar in any of the Disney hotels, also a great way to relax at the end of the day!

daddyof2

If you see some of my other posts, I have my own meal plan issues/questions. still undecided!
https://forum.dlpguide.com/index.php?topic=16486.0