Disney magic on Parade update

Started by captain rocket, November 19, 2013, 09:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain rocket

As several of us have been complaining that the forum is not what it used to be I thought I would try to make a small start via a subject that interest's me!
I came back from DLRP today and as a keen photographer I was really disapointed about the timing of Disney magic on Parade. It is currently timed for 1745 and by this time it is dark enough to make it difficult to photograph. I have been told in the past that Disney like to run the parade later as it encourages people to stay in the parks, well now that we have Dreams to do that I wonder why Disney Magic on Parade is not shown earlier in the day? Yesterday we had Disney Magic on parade at 16.45 magical Christmas wishes (the old tree lighting ceremony) at 18.00 AND 18.25 and Disney Dreams of Christmas at 19.00. This all seemed a little crammed into the two hours or so that it took and I believe that it would be far more sensible to put Disney Magic on Parade on at 15.00. It would be better to photograph then and I don't believe people would leave the parks, and therefore stop spending money, that early in the day. What do you think?

bad-pink-tink

do you think the parade was designed to be a night time or daylight parade?

Also I just checked the park opening times. Monday to friday the park closes at 7pm, weekends 10pm until 20 December and then from 21 December the park closes every night at 10pm

It is most likely that the parade was planned around the later opening times, as Dreams is on so much later during the peak Christmas days, when the weather gets colder.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

captain rocket

I believe that the parade was designed as a day time parade and although Disney provide lights to help out there is not so much opportunity for photography in the dusk.
When the parks close that much later, as they did when I was there on Saturday and Sunday, I don't believe that changing the times would be that difficult.
The only argument that I feel would cut the ground out from under my desire to see the show earlier is the Christmas cavalcade which was shown at 11.00. 12.15. and 13.35. and I would imagine many of the dancers would double up for both parades, indeed I recognised the four elves that led the parade along with Father Christmas on his sleigh pulled by six reindeer (Not live ones) Maybe I want too much, but having watched Disney Magic on Parade on Saturday and faced with a five hour wait in a crowded and cold park for Dreams, I did exactly what Disney did not want me to do and went back to the Golden Forest club in the Sequoia Lodge for some complimentary hot chocolate and soft drinks before enjoying my evening meal at the Earl of Sandwich!

bad-pink-tink

it could also have something to do with shifts of the CM's and how many hours they work. As you recognised some of them from earlier, it is possible that the parade is the last task of that particular shift. If the parade was later Disney might have staffing issues, ie longer shifts which mean overspending in the payroll budget.

Having worked in the service industry where managers are always on tight payroll budgets, there are alot of things which the customer thinks dont work but are done by managers to save on payroll

polar vixen

I know they want to put on laods of extras for Christmas, but maybe it would be better to simply cut one of the parades, if they're that jammed, or do them on alternate days.  That way they could maybe even throw on something extra during the summer months, which are busy due to school holidays, but seem to have less happening.  I was disappointed with the 20th anniversary train, it went up main street in a matter of moments, the characters got off and subsequently got mobbed, then they jumped back on and disappeared again.  (I think my main peeve with that was that my son has a disability pass, which I know can't always be used for unscheduled meet n greets, but as he waited at the side till the cast memberbought the character to him, people were so busy pushing and shoving, that once I'd NOT got a photo, the character was again mobbed and people were so rude I couldn't even reach my poor son, and I had to climb over one of the railings near the castle to retrieve him as he was pinned against it by the crowd.  (sorry minor side rant)

grovesie

I too am a keen photographer, and have been faced with a parade at dusk. This as you know "Capt", If I may be permitted to shorten your name, throws up all types of problems, shutter speed, ISO, noise etc.

BUT

I went in the X-Mas season 2 years ago, and I am going this year, Same week as you Tink, and even though it started at dusk it was dark when it finished it gave it that little bit more of the Christmas feel.

From what you're saying I also agree that there's too many shows/parades in too short a space of time. In my opinion I would rather have these spread through the day.

On a better note I hope you and your family had a great stay.

RockNRoller

Im with you on this one Captain, as a fellow photographer my best parade photos were taken with decent light. You loose a lot of detail in the floats when you cant get light on them and there is a lot of detail on these floats to be seen. Yes you can use a flash but if youre not close enough that wont really make a difference and if you are close enough you get really harsh shadows. I remember the Chante Cest Noel Christmas parade being at 3 which was just right. Now that was a Christmas parade.

Also why are they lighting the tree twice? Seems a bit weird to light it then turn it off to light it again 25 minutes later.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

captain rocket

The tree lighting ceremony is at 18.00 and 19.00 at the weekends but 18.00 and 18.25 during the week

bad-pink-tink

I guess I have a different perspective captain rocket and GROVESIE. When I go to the parades I am there for the atmosphere , the sights and sounds. Taking photos is not a priority for me.

It will be interesting when I go at Christmas, as my mum is a very keen phototographer

mickeyspal

I would prefer to have the daytime parades return to the original time of 3pm, not just for taking decent photos during daylight but showing a parade at that time split up the day; after the parade you had plenty of time to either shop or go back into the lands go on more rides, have a meal, all before returning to Main Street to watch the evening parade at around 7pm. I feel with the times parades/shows are now shown everything we do from late afternoon is then rushed.

1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

captain rocket

To be fair, Big bad Tink, it does'nt really affect the atmosphere whenever the parade is held and judging by the number of people with cameras in the background of many of my photo's we are in the minority but there are still a lot of us!

RockNRoller

I find having a camera makes me see more and look at the parade etc from a different angle. I always have a camera free day when were there and I always stand in my fav spot, if I had no camera Id always stand there and see the same thing every time. With a camera you dont want to take the same picture over and over so you go stand somewhere different, look at the parade from a different angle and see another detail or a different character.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"