Does Disneyland feel French?

Started by BoristheSpider, September 19, 2013, 03:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoristheSpider

This may seem a strange question as obviously Disneyland is in France, but I just wondered do you feel like you're in France or do you forget where you are?
For example, I live near a theme park (Alton Towers) but when I am there it doesn't feel like I am near home..

Do they focus much attention on the films based in France, Aristocats, Beauty & the Beast, Hunchback of Notredame, etc?

captain rocket

No, it does'nt feel French it feels like Disney! There are very few concessions to France, except maybe, the availability of alcohol in the restaurants! Obviously French is the dominant language but most of the cast members understand English. There is very little reference to French referenced Disney films, virtually no reference to Hunchback of Notre Dame except in Dreams and Belle from Beauty and the beast with the princesses. No mention at all of Aristocats except a fleeting appearance last Valentines Day.

Kristof

There are some French touches, but it is still Disney (although it's not very American either).

Check out this blog post I wrote last July:

http://www.photosmagiques.com/blog/2013/07/14/tres-french/

mickeyspal

It doesn't feel French at all to me; I do try to speak French in shops & restaurants as courtesy, but it's not really necessary; thankfully as my French isn't very good.
When I'm in DLP the whole outside world is in a different place.
As Captain Rocket mentioned, there is little reference to French themed films; the only time I can recall any great presence for any of the films was in 1997 for the 5th anniversary, when the park was themed for "The Hunchback Notre Damn" including the parade and a stage show at Videopolis.  :D
1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

bad-pink-tink

I guess cos I go to Disneyland California every year, Disneyland Paris to me feels very French. I describe it to my American friends as Frenchfied Disney. I have been to other parts of France, Paris, Nice, Toulouse and so to me it feels very French. Its more than just the language and the weather.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

idylles

It does feel a bit French to me, but I can't really say why.  The French have their own behaviour and I can really tell I'm in France when I'm in DLP. 
A dream is a wish your heart makes.

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: idylles on September 19, 2013, 11:19:39 AM
It does feel a bit French to me, but I can't really say why.  The French have their own behaviour and I can really tell I'm in France when I'm in DLP.

Exactly... one of my American friends is planning a European trip in the next few years. As much as we both love Dsineyland , I'm reluctant to bring her to DLP. I just know that she will not like the Frenchfied Disney that is DLP.  Its an atmosphere, from both the CM and general public, its the general lack of respect for Disney rules, everything from not smoking to dropping litter, to the pushing and shoving. Its the general shappyness of the park, lack of maintenance and so much more.

Once you realize that DLP is basically a franchise though , you come to understand things better. I had a similar experience with another international American company I used to work for. I worked for 2 of their European branches, for about 5 years. These 2 branches were solely owned and run by the parent American company. I then went to work for a franchise branch of the company  Oh my goodness, I couldn't believe it. The whole ethos of the brand and parent company was basically ignored. Policies and company rules and regulations were not strictly adhered to. Standards in everything were far lower and no one from the top management right down really cared or had any loyalty to the brand or parent company. The franchise owners had bought the name and licence and then basically just did things how they wanted. If I said anything about how thats not company standard, people just shrugged and said thats how we do things here.

This is how I see DLP.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Kristof

Quote from: bad-pink-tink on September 19, 2013, 11:44:39 AM
I just know that she will not like the Frenchfied Disney that is DLP.  Its an atmosphere, from both the CM and general public, its the general lack of respect for Disney rules, everything from not smoking to dropping litter, to the pushing and shoving. Its the general shappyness of the park, lack of maintenance and so much more.

Please don't generalize as this being a French thing. Disneyland Paris, just like our message board, has many visitors, Cast Members and managers from all over Europe and the rest of the world.

ed-uk

I have been to the American Parks in the past and they are different in size and layout to DLP, especially WDW. And for anyone visiting from America and used to the American parks and American ways of doing things, it is Disneyland in a different continent, and caters for a large European audience, but if they visit understanding that then they should love it. The people here are just as polite.
When i go to DLP i always feel like i have left the real world behind me and walked into the magic Kingdom.  Of course i'm aware it's in France, but as an English only speaker i have never had any problems with language, except maybe once.

French is spoken on some of the rides like Phantom Manor for example, but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of it. It does feel like Disneyland.
Ed & David

BoristheSpider

Quote from: Kristof on September 19, 2013, 08:17:19 AM
There are some French touches, but it is still Disney (although it's not very American either).

Check out this blog post I wrote last July:

http://www.photosmagiques.com/blog/2013/07/14/tres-french/

Thanks,  that was interesting - great photos!

PrincessA

I don't think I particularly notice the "frenchness" of the park, I just see it as Disney. But when I went to WDW it did feel very American to me, but I liked it.

orangarnold

As I always just go to Paris and Disney in the same trip, every time I go to Paris I make a point of spending a day at the DLP, I don't think it is French past the language and the food (and at times the people pushing)

captain rocket

I'm quite surprised by your comment Orangarnold, I think that the last thing the food is like is French! Apart from being generally poor quality for the money I really miss a good quality French restaurant! The one that seemed most "French" to me was the Manhattan grill in the New York and that all fell apart when they converted this superb eatery into a pseudo Italian place. i would be interested in hearing what any of our French members feel.

orangarnold

Quote from: captain rocket on September 21, 2013, 10:35:09 AM
I'm quite surprised by your comment Orangarnold, I think that the last thing the food is like is French! Apart from being generally poor quality for the money I really miss a good quality French restaurant! The one that seemed most "French" to me was the Manhattan grill in the New York and that all fell apart when they converted this superb eatery into a pseudo Italian place. i would be interested in hearing what any of our French members feel.

By French food I meant the things like the cheeseburger flavour crisps and the choice of soft drinks, etc, ie the things you don't get in the UK. Reading back I wasn't that clear about that.

BoristheSpider