Dining with a (fussy) vegetarian child

Started by seraphelle, July 24, 2013, 09:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seraphelle

Hiya folks,

So I spent around 2 hours last night going through all the menus for the different restaurants and sussing out where my eldest daughter can eat because although she's vegetarian and eats a fairly varied menu, a lot of the places tend to only offer meat or fish so I wanted to have a good idea of places she'd eat with no problems.

However, a lot of the buffet all-you-can-eat type restaurants just state 'a selection of starters, mains and desserts' - so I'm wondering if anyone knows which ones to definitely avoid with a veggie.

Any advice gratefully received.

We'll be staying in Disneyland Hotel and I've read that the Inventions buffet is amazing and good for veggies, so we'll probably do that a few times but if we're out in the park it'd be good to know where to head for if we get hungry whilst out and about  :D

Thanks in advance.

Sera
xx
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

tubbsy

I cant help much with this one, but I am sure someone will be along to help you.
Inventions is lovely though :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

julesk

I am vegi and fuzzy, REALLY fuzzy. My 5 year old is also fuzzy and dosent eat fish. I dont recommend Inventions if your daughter dosent eat fish as we seriouly struggled there and came away hungry. Yet its amazing there with the charactors who cant do enough to make you feel special.

I'm guessing your premium meals but I highly recommend Billy Bobs in the village and Hotel Cheyene. You can have lunch at these two buffets so maybe an option if you wanted to give her a good lunch while you have a big family meal for everyone else in the evening.

Hope you have a great trip, get your daughter to try the Mickey Mouse shade potato heads. There amazing!  :thumbs:

seraphelle

Hiya,

Thanks for your replies.  :thumbs:

I've made a note of your recommendations for when we go (getting quite a little home-made guidebook together).  :D

Sera xx

bensmum

veggie options in Inventions are very limited....Cafe Mickey does pizza and pasta, the veggie option at the Cowboy Cookout is also ok and pretty child friendly. There are some pretty good sandwiches in the Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village but dont think they are part of dining plan. I tend to live off fries and pasta and get some fruit in at breakfast. I think she will find plenty to eat at DLH for breakfast.

Samninetysix

Café Agrabah no good? - we like it there even tho not veggies but there does seem to be a large selection of veggie food

orangarnold

I have a fussy veggie friend. We've been to Pizza Planet (not sure if thats still open though) and Cafe Agrabah and they were fine for her

gemma2806

Yeah Agrabah Cafe is a good one to try, possibly Plaza Gardens restaurant.

I know Julesk recommended Hotel Cheyenne but I've eaten there, last time was September last year, and the pre-dominance of food at this buffet was tex-mex, barbecue food eg sausages, chicken nuggets, ribs, chicken drumsticks etc. As you're staying at the Disneyland Hotel it is also a trek to get to the Cheyenne if there isn't a lot of choice for you there.

The other hotel buffets are similar: Hunter's Grill in the Sequoia Lodge is another predominantly meat based buffet, kids options are chicken nuggets, fish nuggets, sausages etc. Newport Bay Club Hotel has a good buffet at Cape Cod but this one has a predominance of sea food but if your child will eat sea food then this is a better option.

For a guaranteed vegetarian option you could try the table service restaurants as they provide at least one vegetarian option for adults and at least one for children.

Hope this is of some help.

seraphelle

Thanks for all your advice guys  :)

We got back Sunday night (trip report to come soon), we ate in Inventions the first night (she loved the pizza and mickey potato heads).
The next day we went to Cafe Mickey to fill her up on Pizza as we were going to Bufallo Bill on the evening and I'd been told they kinda just thrust meat at you to eat LOL (which they did, so she ate all our cornbread and potatoes).
The final night we went back to Inventions again.

During the days we were still so full from breakfast in DLH we just picked at fruit and bread I'd smuggled out of breakfast and into the parks  ;D  Managed to fit in a Casey's hotdog for me and my husband though, yum!