Help! View from Hurricanes (1995)

Started by la-petite-sirene, August 07, 2012, 04:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

la-petite-sirene

Hello everyone!

What a great site - I'm so glad I came across it! I was a Cast Member at DLP from 1995 until 1997 (when my daughter was born!) I worked at the Emporium, the shop in Hotel Cheyenne (what was it called?) and backstage for a while doing inventories / stock control.

I was wondering if someone could help me... I'm writing a book at the moment and I need to know what the view would have been from the balcony at the back of Hurricanes nightclub. I remember staring into Lake Buena Vista (now Lake Disney) from my stool - what else would I have seen? Would I see Newport Bay Hotel????

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Anne  [-o<

Kristof

I've only been once on the Hurricanes balcony, so I can't really remember...

Is this of any help? https://maps.google.be/maps?q=disneylan ... 15000&z=17

la-petite-sirene

Thank you for taking the time to respond Kristof and for the link. I did have a look at Google maps earlier, but due to the fact that there are some buildings there now that I'm sure weren't there before and also that I'm not too sure where Hurricanes is on the map, I'd still be guessing.

I just hoped, on the off chance, that someone might remember! I think I'll assume that the view is of Newport Bay in the background, and hope that no-one will ever question it! :-)

Thanks again,

Much appreciated,

Anne  :D

Kristof

Here you go...

The white building in the viewing path is a "temporary" convention tent that was constructed a few years back. Looking at this map I'm sure you had a good view on Newport Bay Club from the balcony.

la-petite-sirene

Aww thank you, thank you, thank you for doing that - you are a star!!!!  =D>

Thaliel

This reminds me: is Hurricanes ever coming back or will it make place for something new? The inside has been all dark for cears now...
<-Plz click

Kristof

Actually it reopened last week as Hurricanes Cafe, a restaurant for Cast Members...  :roll:

Thaliel

Oh now that is a nifty idea, CMs can get together outsider of working hours, get to know each other, have a snack and some  conversation....nice that the old discotheque is being used instead of just being left all empty
<-Plz click

Grandmath

The place is nice, most of the themeing is still there, that makes for a nice cafe/restaurant :)

Mc Donald's and Crescendo were built after 1997, so you could look pretty far away I guess from this balcony.

Scally

Any idea what this part of the marina looked like or what was here before they filled it in for Mcdonalds?

britincgn

Remember visiting once and was very dissapointed ,didnt go back again .

Festival Disney

Think I can help! Got loads of pics from old Festival Disney on my Mac. Not sure where I got them from though, I just click save as if I see an interesting photo so nothing belongs to me :)

So, before it was changed to being a Rainforest Café, the restaurant beneath Hurricanes was known as Key West Seafood:

Designed by renowned architect Frank Ghery (pictured below), the original building without faux rainforest rockwork looked rather good:

A view from across the marina:

A view from above: (picture from designing disney blog)

And finally, a nightime view:  :thumbs:

Hope they answer your questions :)
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

ed-uk

It's interesting to look back, i can remember dining in Key West and meeting Goofy.  I like Disney Village better though, and with the balloons.
Ed & David

Scally

Thanks for these Festival Disney. I prefer the building the way it used to be. I spent the summer 1998 working in DLP and for some reason i can't remember this area behind Hurricanes and Steakhouse at all !