Strikes causing problems in DLP

Started by DedicatedToDLP(Steve), March 30, 2012, 05:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkredible

Quote from: "Josh"
Quote from: "15MagicalYears"For goodness sake, if they aren't happy working for Disney they should just leave.
Because I'm sure it's really easy to find another job... :|

That's what winds me up. There are so many people out of work at the moment and so many businesses shutting down because most countries are in a state of recession. They are lucky to have a job. If they want a pay rise, try finding a job that will pay more. Unless Disney have said they're going to be reducing wages or making some other changes that means the cast members are going to be worse off, then I don't think they should be striking. This isn't just because it's Disney either. I think the same for company whose employees decide to strike.

I've got a friend who has been struggling to find work for the past 18 months and has actually applied for a job in Afghanistan as a plumber because he is so depressed about not being able to find work over in the UK. He would be more than happy to take the place of anybody who has a job but decides to strike because they aren't happy about something in their contract of employment that they signed.
WDW - July 2010 - All Stars Music (honeymoon)
DLP - March 2011 - Santa Fe
DLP - October 2011 - Santa Fe (can\'t wait)

Auroura86

I'm getting sick of hearing that they're striking atill. I'm sorry, I am. And you know what? if I had been there with my son when that happened i would contact Disney and demand a refund. I'm sorry but I would. In the financial state a lot of places are in right now those people are damn lucky to have a job. They don't know how lucky they are. Yes they have the right to strike but what right have they got to ruin everyone's experience/holiday? What right have they got to completely destroy a child's dream? What right have they got to ruin 20th celebrations? If they are striking in May and ruin things in May I WILL demand a refund and will not stop til I get it plus compensation. I'm not having yet another Disneyland trip ruined for my son. I'm not. (I may speak highly of past trips but the highs were far less than the lows, and I dont want to go into why)
Where me keys? Where me phone?

Malin

Quote from: "Auroura86"If they are striking in May and ruin things in May I WILL demand a refund and will not stop til I get it plus compensation. I'm not having yet another Disneyland trip ruined for my son. I'm not. (I may speak highly of past trips but the highs were far less than the lows, and I dont want to go into why)

What exactly are you going to demand a refund for here. The cancellation of the Parade which are in the terms and conditions of visiting the park.
QuoteThe shows, parades and events are subject to change, postponement or cancellation without prior notice
By visiting you are agreeing to the terms of conditions. Unless the strikes were so severe you were unable to visit the park. You have no right or reason to request a refund. Plus one wouldn't be given to you anyway because its all listed under the terms of use. But I do hope you and your son have a magical time  :D

To return to the subject of strikes for the moment. The fact these issues can not be sorted or resolved in a friendly manner proves to me just how poor the current Management team at Euro Disney S.C.A appear to be in the negotiation's. And I'm still struggling to understand why and how admission and access was given for them to enter the park.

I also have a question if more strikes go ahead will we see an increase in security around the parks. Or was the time before only a one off because Euro Disney S.C.A vaule the media and website owners more than its actual paying Guests?

Auroura86

put yourself in a child's shoes. Yes i understand there's instances which mean the parade can't go on. Trust me with what i experienced when i was 16, and from where i used to work; I know that too well. But nowhere, and I mean nowhere in the terms and conditions does it say 'parades may be cancelled due to staff strikes'. Disneyland is a place where dreams are meant to come true. Not a place where kids dreams get shattered by pathetic strikers looking to cause trouble

Auroura86

I would definitely at least demand some sort of compensation. Yes they have a right to strike. No they don't have the right to shatter children's dreams

paterdave2

Quote from: "Auroura86"I'm getting sick of hearing that they're striking atill. I'm sorry, I am.

Sorry but why??? think about it. In Brussel in Belgium all public transport is on strike because of security problems
A lot of people now have problems getting to school or their job. BUT I don't hear you complain about that because they want a safer job

Quote from: "Auroura86"And you know what? if I had been there with my son when that happened i would contact Disney and demand a refund. I'm sorry but I would. Yes they have the right to strike but what right have they got to ruin everyone's experience/holiday? What right have they got to completely destroy a child's dream? What right have they got to ruin 20th celebrations? If they are striking in May and ruin things in May I WILL demand a refund and will not stop til I get it plus compensation.

Good luck with that one.
A refund????? who are you the local comedian.
So you think it is ok to strike when you work for example at Philips or Sony and want more payment, but because now you work for Disney or the Efteling(in the netherlands) or Walibi (Belgium, France or the Netherlands)and work at a themepark you are not alowed to. Where is the logic in that.
Yes it isn't fun that they go on strike and yes it is no fun if you are there and the parade is canceled and yes it is no fun if your childs dream is chattere I can relate to a child I really can, but don't we need to go to the company who is responsible for this strike to happen? Yes I mean DISNEY. They won't pay their staff enough and they don't want them to get a salary that is rightfull. We all need to pay more for our groseries because of the financial state,  but the only way for us to pay for that is to get more money from our jobs.
So my advise for you would be cancel your trip in may if you hear about a strike because you won't get a refund.

Like I said before I won't say I like the idea of the CM on strike but I can understand the reasons.
I don't have to like it but well I think they are right to do it.
Also we forget that we all need to eat and pay our rent(ot all CM live in a house from DLP)

Quote from: "15MagicalYears"From my experience the majority, not all, of the cast members are young adults or teenagers and this is just a part-time job. To me this just comes across as greed. I'm a student and work part-time in retail and would never in my wildest dreams consider striking for a 25(or whatever percentage it is) raise for Sunday work and a bonus. Like I said before, if they aren't happy working for Disney they should go elsewhere.

I don't know about your trips but on my trips I see a lot of the same CM and I don't think that a student will work from 10-19 on monday - friday and has time for school.
Also the CM I have seen are a lot older than the average student here in the Netherlands but hé that's just me.
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm

Auroura86

Just about every contract there is temporary. I got offered a job and turned it down due to being pregnant, so yes most are there temporarily. It's up to them if they renew.

And you know what? I didn't come on here to be called names. I came on this forum because of how passionate I am about Disney. Forgive me for having very strong opinions. I'll shut up in future. This "local comedian" has had it. How dare you. Good bye to this forum and good riddance

Malin

QuoteBut nowhere, and I mean nowhere in the terms and conditions does it say 'parades may be cancelled due to staff strikes'.

The Park doesn't have to give reason for the cancellation of a parade or show. And certainly doesn't owe you or anyone else a refund or compensation if it has to cancel the parade because of a strike. Your demands would either be laughed at or ignored.

dagobert

I'm really shocked to read how peole think about striking. I've studied law and have specialized in labour law. I'm glad that we have unions and people who care about the work place and payment, otherwise the companies would do whatever they want.

I guess most people here don't have any background informations about the strike, but complaining is easy. Disney is a company like every other and so the CMs have the same right like every other employee in France or Europe. TWDC knew that before they moved to Europe and now they have to deal with it. It is bad for the guests and I feel sorry for them, but some reactions here are over the top.

I'm glad there are more mature topics and boards than this one.

gingajen

Quote from: "Auroura86"Just about every contract there is temporary. I got offered a job and turned it down due to being pregnant, so yes most are there temporarily. It's up to them if they renew.

And you know what? I didn't come on here to be called names. I came on this forum because of how passionate I am about Disney. Forgive me for having very strong opinions. I'll shut up in future. This "local comedian" has had it. How dare you. Good bye to this forum and good riddance

I actually agree with you for the most part. I would be livid if their striking upset the holiday I have spent the last year planning and saving for. I know I wouldn't get anywhere trying for a refund though. I think what they are campaigning for is ridiculous! 25% pay rise for Sunday working  :shock:  and a bonus because it happens to be an anniversary year, are they having a laugh? I strongly disagree with these terms, and this is why they will have no sympathy from me. I work for a bank, can you imagine the uproar if we all went on strike because we wanted bonuses because its a leap year or something? And for those on this thread from the UK who are saying the strikers are well within their rights to do so, regardless of the upset and inconvenience it causes, I hope you'll aall be as supportive when the fuel tanker drivers and the teachers go on strike!
There is no need to be personal about comments, if you disagree with other people's opinions, then say so, respectfully.

gingajen

Quote from: "dagobert"I'm really shocked to read how peole think about striking. I've studied law and have specialized in labour law. I'm glad that we have unions and people who care about the work place and payment, otherwise the companies would do whatever they want.

I guess most people here don't have any background informations about the strike, but complaining is easy. Disney is a company like every other and so the CMs have the same right like every other employee in France or Europe. TWDC knew that before they moved to Europe and now they have to deal with it. It is bad for the guests and I feel sorry for them, but some reactions here are over the top.

It is great that people have the right to strike for what they believe in, I also know from experience that generally the larger the company, the worse they'll try to treat their employees. However, I can't see how it can be considered wrong to disagree with what they're doing and express how upset they would feel if they had been inconvenienced by the action. It's ok for the cast members to voice their opinion, but not the people their action affects?

DutchBrit

Quote from: "Auroura86"I would definitely at least demand some sort of compensation. Yes they have a right to strike. No they don't have the right to shatter children's dreams

I agree that you wouldn't get compensation anyway, but also think about who you are asking for compensation from. The Disney company. The ones the strikers are fighting with. So if you make the company lose money, then you are actually helping the strike action, because it might work out cheaper to give the strikers what they want....

And it's hardly only workers at Disney who could inconvenience you. The ferry workers or airport staff could also cause problems. Should they be banned from striking too? There are names for societies where that is not allowed, but it's not "Democracies".

Also useful to keep a sense of proportion about these things.

15MagicalYears

Quote from: "dagobert"I'm really shocked to read how peole think about striking. I've studied law and have specialized in labour law. I'm glad that we have unions and people who care about the work place and payment, otherwise the companies would do whatever they want.

Well not all of us have an educated background on the subject, but I'm seeing it from a guest point of view and giving my opinion. Which is that I think it's crazy and unreasonable that CMs are striking for a bonus and extremely high pay rise for Sunday-work. Bonuses are supposed to be one-off rewards for hard work, attempting to sabotage your work place and creating havoc sure as hell isn't going to get you a bonus.

dagobert

Don't get me wrong, I'm very sorry for the guest and of course they are allowed to complain. But just because someone has a bad experience doesn't justify that the CMs shouldn't be allowed the right to strike. In my opinion it's a fundamental right in the Labour Law. I'm so harsh, because I get the feeling that just because it is Disneyland it means that everything has to be fine there every day and each CM has to love his work, because he is working for Disney. We all know that Disney has been in the news for low wage. I also agree with some here that the strike should not have been held inside the park. Usually that's not allowed, at least over here a strike has to be held outside the company's area. It mainly happens at the front gate, which would be the resort hub. However as long as there is no official announcement I find it hard to believe that the bonus and the raise for Sunday work are the main reason. There's no doubt that the CMs over reacted last weekend, but that was just a small group.

I have seen companies that tried to get rid of the unions just to hire and fire like they want to.

littlemermaid83

Another strike is planned for the 12th from what I hear, I know I'd be annoyed if they entered the park again and got the parade cancelled, but I wouldn't come home and complain to Disney and expect a refund. I may let them know my disapointment but to ask for a refund....that would probably give guest relations a laugh.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!