Horrible horrible smoking!

Started by Sully, December 02, 2011, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cringer

The smoking issue is one of the very few negative things I have to say about DLP. It really detracts from the entire experience. I only visited for the first time in 2014, so can't speak about whether it's got worse, but on our two short visits this year it was more than just noticeable. It's distracting and really breaks the suspension of disbelief that the Disneyland experience strives to build.

It doesn't ruin things, but if they could get it under control and eliminate casual smoking and cigarette butts from the park, it would exponentially improve the entire atmosphere.

Alexz

Quote from: Cringer on December 16, 2014, 10:14:51 AM
The smoking issue is one of the very few negative things I have to say about DLP. It really detracts from the entire experience. I only visited for the first time in 2014, so can't speak about whether it's got worse, but on our two short visits this year it was more than just noticeable. It's distracting and really breaks the suspension of disbelief that the Disneyland experience strives to build.

It doesn't ruin things, but if they could get it under control and eliminate casual smoking and cigarette butts from the park, it would exponentially improve the entire atmosphere.
Yep, exactly what I think. It doesn't ruin the whole experience but it certainly damage it a bit.
My previous Disney trips:
Tokyo Disneyland: March 1998
Walt Disney World: March 2008 /*\ New Years 2011 /*\ April 2013 /*\ October 2015
Disneyland Paris: September 2013 /*\ July 2015
Disneyland California: August 2016 (Honeymoon)

Upcoming trips:
Disneyland Paris: Spring 2020?
Walt Disney World: 2021 or 2022
Hong Kong Disneyland: -
Shanghai Disneyland: -

DisneyDonna

Quote from: Cringer on December 16, 2014, 10:14:51 AM

How do you want to get rid of casual smoking? Don't let anyone in who smokes? Smoking is an addiction, it's not that easy to quit it for some, especially if you have been smoking for most of your life.

Cringer

By having better appointed, easier to find smoking areas and make it a lot clearer that smoking is not tolerated in the park itself. You can't smoke in a cinema or a theatre, or any similar tourist attraction that might happen to be indoors. I understand that it can be difficult dealing with an addiction, but it's still just a poor lifestyle choice and doesn't entitle people to any extra rights that the rest of us don't have - it can ruin an expensive experience like Disneyland for other people, very easily. Especially children.

Disney strive to make their parks a hyperreal experience that feels like being in a film or a different world. That illusion is immediately shattered by the kind of behaviour mentioned in this thread.

Alexz

Quote from: Cringer on December 17, 2014, 01:21:53 PM
By having better appointed, easier to find smoking areas and make it a lot clearer that smoking is not tolerated in the park itself. You can't smoke in a cinema or a theatre, or any similar tourist attraction that might happen to be indoors. I understand that it can be difficult dealing with an addiction, but it's still just a poor lifestyle choice and doesn't entitle people to any extra rights that the rest of us don't have - it can ruin an expensive experience like Disneyland for other people, very easily. Especially children.

Disney strive to make their parks a hyperreal experience that feels like being in a film or a different world. That illusion is immediately shattered by the kind of behaviour mentioned in this thread.
Thumbs up! Well said.
My previous Disney trips:
Tokyo Disneyland: March 1998
Walt Disney World: March 2008 /*\ New Years 2011 /*\ April 2013 /*\ October 2015
Disneyland Paris: September 2013 /*\ July 2015
Disneyland California: August 2016 (Honeymoon)

Upcoming trips:
Disneyland Paris: Spring 2020?
Walt Disney World: 2021 or 2022
Hong Kong Disneyland: -
Shanghai Disneyland: -

DisneyDonna

I do not believe they have any extra rights. But Disneyland happens to be outdoors. Plus, places will be really smelly if all the smokers smoke in the exact same spot. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely against smoking in queues, parades, any place where people are standing right besides you. But these designated areas are firstly very hard to find and they create a cloud of smoke by having all the people smoke there. But that is just my opinion!