What is DLRP doing about the rodent problem

Started by mary, July 30, 2011, 09:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caspdex

Seeing a rat in the parks is not rare. If you find a quiet corner, especially in adventureland/frontierland, you will probably see one. Having said that having pumpkins strewn about the place probably doesn't help. If you surrounded your house with rotting veg, then no doubt you would get vermin.

Sugaroo_

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"
Quote from: "DGRavenswood"So to speak of a rodent "problem" seems a bit exaggerated for now, as long as they don't grow to 5 feet and start wearing pants...

5 foot rodents wearing pants, honestly what planet are you from? Next you'll be talking about other ridiculous sights like giant ducks wearing sailor outfits, elephants that can fly, or hot tasty pizzas at a reasonable price from Buzz's Pizza Planet.

:P

Hahaha !!!!  :mrgreen: Good one!  :thumbs:

Are we talking rats or field mice? Rats are a whole other ball game, I saw a rat once that was so big I mistook it for a cat!  :shock:  Anyhoo, never seen one in the parks or restaurants for that matter. Rare sightings don't constitute a problem. It's not like the place is infested or anything. With such a large volume of guests if there was a substantial problem complaints would be piling in, and it seems the mouse/rat population of the parks has gone unoticed by the majority.

Now cats are a problem. Cats will harrass you for food. They'll sit at your feet and stare you down until you give in and foolishly throw them a scrap of your food...and that's when they never go away!
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

Krollok

I´ve seen a rat inside Blockbuster Cafe an a mouse in front of Bella Notte last august.
The only reasonable solution i can come up with, are bears with Lasers mounted on their heads, maybe some sharks too.

Teacup

The rodent problem, comes not when they are seen by guests in my opinion. We've seen a few on our recent trips.
No, the problem, is when one of them is dying near Bella Notte, in front of younger guests, and when staff members are informed nothing is done about it.
One day in July a dying and then soon dead rat was spotted by us in EMH. We reported it to 5 seperate staff members, 3 of whom then reported it further up. It was still there at 5 just before we left the park. Now that is disgusting, and very distressing to several families we saw at least.
Previous stays
Santa Fe September 1999
Cheyenne November 2002
Sequoia Lodge September 2010
New York July 2011
Magic Circus September 2012

number6

I have seen the occasional little mouse scuttling about, but not much really to worry about.  What about birds in restaurants?  The first time I wnet in Colonel Hathi's there were dozens of them, and in one of the restaurants in WDS, can't remember the name.  In Starbucks in the Village they swoop in to pick up crumbs etc from under the tables and then swoop out again as people open the door.  In Annettes I had to duck as a bird struggled to take off with a giant french fry in its claws - you have to admire it's pluck!!  I do wonder though, just how sanitary is it for birds to be flying around inside a restaurant?

Patrick89

I didn't see too many rodents up to now, but I also think that the birds in restaurants can be really annoying. We've been in Bella Notte, sitting next to a window, while a couple of sparrows did not seem to find a way out a gain - so they tried to fly through the glass several times. That was a stressful meal ;)
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

SparrowsGirl

Last time i was in the Mickey Cafe, i actually had a mouse give me his autograph :) sorry couldn't help myself

CafeFantasia

Q: What is Disneyland Paris doing about their rodent problem?

A: Well, they appear to have killed the Ratatouille project. So that's a start.

peter

is it definitely postponed?

CafeFantasia

@peter

Joking aside, the last thing I read was that it had been put on hold, because they weren't able to secure the necessary funds from the banks, to build it. So it looks like Ratatouille is in similar position now to the Tower of Terror was back in 2002. Remember how the HTH logo stood over the site, for about 4 years, until construction finally started in 2006? I doubt we'll have to wait that long for Ratatouille, but at this rate we shouldn't expect to see it open until at least 2014.

Figgygirl

Sorry to hear that Ratatuoille is postponed.
regarding vermin in the parks - we saw our first rats in 19 years in the resort last week, when we came out of Cinemagique. Three large rats, one after the other, scuttling along towards the grassy area at Place Des Stars.

Patrick89

Last week, we've seen a lot of rats and mice, too. But well, where so much food, water and garbage can be found, this must be like the paradise for rodents...
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

jenniedisney

We were in Disney last week.

Saw many mice around adventureland. They are pretty "friendly" aswell. They dont exactly run away fast when you approach them. Saw them during the day and into the evening.

Also saw a rat over in Disney village, near the geocache near mcdonalds. Clearly running along the wall, very near to an empy mcdonalds bag.

This unfortunately proves that the guests are partly to blame for the problem. If only people would put their litter in the bins
Been going to Disney since October 1992.
Hotels Stayed in:
Cheyenne 1992
Disneyland Hotel 1993-Present
Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel Castle Club 2007,2008,2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Millennium Celebration 1999-2000 in Disneyland Hotel

WDW Cast Member 2016-2017
Stayed in EVERY resort on property