Euro Disney SCA 2011 Financial Reports

Started by ford prefect, February 08, 2011, 11:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lil-shawn

The thing i don´t get is, how it is possible that the food quality drop´s to a bad quality, i mean me as someone who learnd
cook, i would be ashamed to hear from people my food is bad and not worth the price. does DLRP have real cooks or just
housewives as cooks? i mean a good cook would never beginn to drop his quality down.
i mean if DLRP would look for better cooks the quality can rise again, its not hard to do so. also they should try not to cook to much with finished food from a packet, fresh cooking is cheaper...
They have just two options, lower the price on the food or rise the quality.

As for the Merchandise, i have to argee that the quality and varity have to change a lot. if i look back in time when
you had different stuff at every shop, i were buying so much, my parents wallet were screaming "stop Shopping". now
if i go into the shops my money screams "buy something i get bored in your wallet" but honestly there isnt anything i realy want. i mean, why should i buy something, the disney name is on it but i realy don´t need? On my last trip i had a lot of money with me, i mean realy a lot of money, i just did spent 10% of it, and thats for food nothing more.

Tuvok

Quote from: "pussinboots"Plaza Gardens has put me off from trying out the Agrabah Cafe as well as the Lucky Nugget Saloon, whatever the dickens that constitutes nowadays. Some sort of character meal with a cheerful show on stage? Probably. But if you can guarantee me that at least a sizable portion of Agrabah Cafe's menu consists of something other than Buitoni freezer pizzas and supermarket puddings, I'll give it a try, haha.

So the Auberge, how does that work now then? Is that a set-price three-course meal with unlimited drinks? Because that's still, what, €25? on top of similar deals at Walt's and Blue Lagoon. And character meals aren't really the first thing people associate with a classy and quality restaurants... But hey, there is a market for it.

Yes, the buffet at Agrabah Café is very good, with lots of choices and a unique cuisine. Lucky Nuggut Saloon no longer features 'lunch with the Disney characters'. Due to negative guest respons, they've relocated the 'high tea with the Disney characters' to Cowboy Cookout, which features a buffet with cookies and sweets during the time the characters are there (normaly in the afternoon). It's not yet decided what they are going to do with the Lucky Nugget, but it will probably remain a normal restaurant.

Auberge is all-inclusive yes, but only the standard drinks are included. If you want special drinks, you'll have to pay for them seperately. Selection of wine, mineral water and coffee are included though. You'll get a cocktaile, an amuse, a starter, a main cours and a dessert for that price.

@ dagobert:

Apperently the food and drinks aren't the problem as guest spending in the parks and guest spending per room increased due to more spending on food and drinks (see the full Q1 2011 results from Euro Disney S.C.A. for details). If the quality is that low and prices are that high, the spending should go down, instead of up.

Back ontopic: More good news! The Euro Disney S.C.A. stock has skyrocked with an 25% increase due to the published results. I guess stockholders are realy impressed by DLP's results.
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

dagobert

Thanks for clarifying, Tuvok.

Tastes are different and maybe it is just me and some others who don't like the food at DLRP so much. Maybe I'm just spoiled by WDW and should lower my expectations in Disneyland Paris.
I want to make clear that the table service restaurants were always okay, except Walts last time. The fast food and the variety offered is waht bothers me.

Good news for Euro Disney SCA. Hopefully the company continues this way, but the next quarter will be hard, since it is off season.

Tuvok

Quote from: "dagobert"Thanks for clarifying, Tuvok.

Tastes are different and maybe it is just me and some others who don't like the food at DLRP so much. Maybe I'm just spoiled by WDW and should lower my expectations in Disneyland Paris.
I want to make clear that the table service restaurants were always okay, except Walts last time. The fast food and the variety offered is waht bothers me.

Good news for Euro Disney SCA. Hopefully the company continues this way, but the next quarter will be hard, since it is off season.

Oh I hear you, dagobert. The fast food offerings are indeed not very good (especially Hyperion Café, that's just an all time low, even fot DLP), but I guess I'm not such a good judge on that, cause I don't like fastfood in general, whether it's at a themepark, or at McDonanlds for that matter. I like to dine the way it should be (table service or good quality buffet service). DLP (in this case Disneyland Park) delivers in this segment. Blue Lagoon, Walt's, Silver Spur, Auberge de Cendrillon, Agrabah Café and Inventions are very good. Maybe only the spendings on these restaurants went up and fast food went down, I don't know, just know spending was up.

Next quarter will indeed be hard. Hope they can still produce increased revenues. TWDC in general is doing very well. Thanks for posting the link to their results.

dagobert

I also don't like fast food, especially burgers. I don't know when I have been to McDonalds the last time. The next thing is, that I'm vegetarian and unfortunately the variety decreases from year to year. DLRP used to offer so many different options from 2000 to 2008 and suddenly from one year to another most of them had gone. That's why I think WDW is far ahead of DLRP, because there they offer more than burgers and pizzas, although the fast food pizzas over there are very good.

Usually we eat at least once a day at a buffet or table service restaurant at DLRP and unfortunately the quality has dropped there as well. At least that's our opinion. A few years ago it wasn't a problem to get a special prepared meal at Walt's, last time the restaurant manager got mad at us. Maybe it was just a one time happening.

Do you think it is possible for ED SCA that a new record attendance will be reached in 2011? I mean there is nothing new this year, except the Magical Moments. My hopes lie on the 20th birthday. Hopefully the celebration will be well advertised, even in the German speaking countries. Germany, Austria and Switzerland are a single market for Disney and there is hardly any marketing about DLRP. I'm sure these nearly 100 mio people would bring some money to Disney.

Tuvok

Quote from: "dagobert"I also don't like fast food, especially burgers. I don't know when I have been to McDonalds the last time. The next thing is, that I'm vegetarian and unfortunately the variety decreases from year to year. DLRP used to offer so many different options from 2000 to 2008 and suddenly from one year to another most of them had gone. That's why I think WDW is far ahead of DLRP, because there they offer more than burgers and pizzas, although the fast food pizzas over there are very good.

Usually we eat at least once a day at a buffet or table service restaurant at DLRP and unfortunately the quality has dropped there as well. At least that's our opinion. A few years ago it wasn't a problem to get a special prepared meal at Walt's, last time the restaurant manager got mad at us. Maybe it was just a one time happening.

Do you think it is possible for ED SCA that a new record attendance will be reached in 2011? I mean there is nothing new this year, except the Magical Moments. My hopes lie on the 20th birthday. Hopefully the celebration will be well advertised, even in the German speaking countries. Germany, Austria and Switzerland are a single market for Disney and there is hardly any marketing about DLRP. I'm sure these nearly 100 mio people would bring some money to Disney.

I understand, from a vegetarian point of view, that there's not much to choose from. I can't imagine that they are going to cut these meals just for nothing. Maybe they weren't ordered frequently? However, that doesn't mean they shouldn't offer them.

I don't think they will reach record attendance again this year. In 2009 they had 15,4 million visitors (highest ever), last year that dropped to 15 million. I don't see them reaching 15,4 or higher this year. Magical Moments Festival will indeed attract (more) people to visit, but the increase will mainly come from the fact that the economy is recovering now and people are willing to spend more on their holidays, despite themed years. I think if they reach the 15,4 milestone again by the end of the year, they are doing very well in the current situation.

I'm a bit surprised we don't hear anything about DLP's 20th anniversary yet and the 'first year' (2012) in particulary. We all know Ratatouille is coming in 2013, but what about 2012? There are strong rumours that existing rides will be upgraded, with Phantom Manor and Pirates high on that list, but what about a 'real' E-ticket upgrade like Star Tours? If we look at the upgrades in the US, it takes about 7-9 months to complete the upgrade, which in essence, is a complete new ride. If DLP wants to have Star Tours 2.0, we need an announcement in the next few months.
It's the ideal upgrade. Less costs then a completely new ride and they can 'sell' it as something totally new. Bring on the Star Wars Weekends and 2012 is ready to go! At least, that's how I see it.

dagobert

Maybe there will be an announcement about the 20th birthday, new attractions and World Of Disney Store at the Annual General Meeting in March.
At least they should announce WoDS, since it's already under construction.

Anthony

They won't announce anything about the 20th at the AGM this year, I'd bet all my shares on that. People hope for the same kind of thing every year, but then it just ends up with the entertainment department trotting out a few characters and trying to promote whatever festival's on this year (that most clued-up shareholders have already read about here or on DCP).

Last year there was a nice talk on Toy Story Playland with that video presentation of course, but any projects like Ratatouille or Star Tours are probably a little too far ahead for them to talk about now (we know how Euro Disney SCA hate getting people excited for the future). It would make sense to at least mention World of Disney and show the concept art we've already seen, and maybe the same for Earl of Sandwich. Both those projects would give a good impression to shareholders that things are moving with Disney Village. Maybe they could talk about the hotel improvements too.

Edit: Just to add my view on the food, the one thing that should be fixed immediately is vegetarian options. I'm sure some of the menus I've typed up recently didn't have a single veggie option at all (I don't count a side salad), it's embarrassing. The counter service menus are like prison food. Cheese and tomato pizza, penne pasta with a dollop of generic sauce, sub-McDonald's burger for double the price. Where's the sense of fun? Desserts, maybe..? Your choice there: an Activia strawberry yoghurt or vanilla cornetto. That says it all. They've shrunk the menus down so much, tried to make them appeal to so many tastes at once, that there's no appeal there at all.

(An exception are the nice pastrami/mozzarella and chicken sandwiches at Market House Deli and Blockbuster Cafe - they're not Earl of Sandwich but at €6 versus an €8.50 hamburger they're not bad at all)

Adam

I agree. I expect the emphasis will be on Disney Village. Perhaps they will shed some light on the future of Hurricanes and also the current Disney Store?

dagobert

I don't expect ED SCA to announce something either, I was just hoping. When did Disney announce TOT, Crush's Coaster? I assume when these rides have already been under construction :lol: .

Hopefully ED SCA will announce WoDS and maybe they will release some concept arts of the inside.

CafeFantasia

Wasn't Toon Studio and the Tower of Terror presented to fans on 10 September 2005 at the Soiree Celebration in Videopolis? That's coming up to being 6 years ago!

Here's a video of it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x297w0 ... f_creation

andrewuk

Quote from: "dagobert"I don't expect ED SCA to announce something either, I was just hoping. When did Disney announce TOT, Crush's Coaster? I assume when these rides have already been under construction :lol: .

Hopefully ED SCA will announce WoDS and maybe they will release some concept arts of the inside.

Back in the day we had a mega announcement for SM2, Buzz, Toon Studio and ToT all in one go (although they didn't mention Crush specifically it was on the concept art that appeared at the time). Seems hard to believe now but it really did happen.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Anthony

That September 2005 event was fantastic.

The attractions were actually announced in January 2005 though, as a footnote to the First Quarter results. They'd been rumoured for several months beforehand, but I believe Toon Studio was quite a surprise. Here's that very press release, it literally was several lines of text at the end of their financial results announcing Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast, Toon Studios and Tower of Terror, not even a separate press release... zero build-up, zero hoopla. The headline, "Content of Program for New Attractions in Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios Park" is funny.

QuoteContent of Program for New Attractions in Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios Park

The Company also announced the primary content of its € 240 million plan for new investments
over the next several years.  This plan, which remains subject to completion of a capital increase
through an upcoming rights offering, is based on the Company's growth strategy of increasing
market penetration of first time visitors - those Europeans who know the Resort, are interested in
visiting, but haven't done so yet.  Such strategy is designed to leverage the Resort's outstanding
guest satisfaction and repeat visitor ratings.

In fiscal 2006, the Company will bring Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast to Disneyland Park.  In this
interactive ride-through attraction, guests journey to infinity and beyond to help Buzz Lightyear
defend the universe against the evil Emperor Zurg.  The opening of the attraction will add to our
series of exciting new offers at Disneyland Park.  In 2004, the Company opened The Legend of The
Lion King show, which has been an immense success.  In the coming months, the Park will relaunch one of its most popular attractions as a completely new experience, Space Mountain: Mission 2.

The toons take over when the Company opens Toon Studios at Walt Disney Studios Park in fiscal
2007.  In this new land, designed to further increase the Park's appeal to families and young
children, guests will experience the magical world of Disney animated films from an insider's
point of view.  In this "working studio," the cast and crew are your favorite "toons," and the unique
attractions are designed to bring their films to life around you.  

In fiscal 2008, the Company has scheduled the opening of Tower of Terror at Walt Disney Studios
Park. In this classic Disney adventure, an elevator ride in a mysterious Hollywood hotel becomes a
thrilling, white-knuckle journey into a mysterious new dimension.  

The attached appendix provides more information on the planned new attractions.
QuoteBuzz Lightyear's Laser Blast* in Disneyland Park

2006 should see the unveiling of a new attraction based  on the  characters  and magic  of the Walt  Disney
Pictures presentation of the Pixar Animation Studios film Toy Story 2.  At the other end of the galaxy, the
evil Emperor Zurg is masterminding the construction  of  an  invading army of battery-powered robotic
villains.  His plan hinges vitally on the theft of the entire galaxy's stock of batteries.  Foiling this plan and
pulling the plug on the power puppets is a job for space ranger Buzz Lightyear.  Participants will board twoseater ride vehicles, each of which  will  be  fitted  with dual laser pistols and direction controls, making it
possible for guests to spin their space ships around a full 360°.  To defend the universe our guests will then
go blasting at the various targets placed throughout the different scenes their vehicles enter.  Each successful
hit will not only accumulate points on vehicle dashboards, but also generate special effects through the use
of sound, light and movement.  Set to become something of a standard in Disney Theme Park entertainment,
the popularity of the series of Buzz Lightyear attractions appears to lie in the development of a storyline
concerning an unforgettable character, the ownership of an experience which guests create themselves and
the desire to become a top scorer.

Toon Studios* at Walt Disney Studios Park

A new land in Walt Disney Studios Park will soon offer guests insight into the backstage activity of their
favourite Disney characters.  This land will be none other than the place where the toons toil – the setting
where they make their films – and this theme makes our expansion unique in Disney Theme Park history.
This new Land will be a continuation of the Theme Park's current celebration of the animated world, and
will thus find itself located alongside Animation Courtyard, between Flying Carpets Over Agrabah and Art
of  Disney Animation.  Not only will guests meet their toon heroes here, but they will also explore their
professional universe and participate in some of the most unforgettable scenes from their box  office
successes.  

A further part of the development also calls for the expansion of the oasis area around Flying Carpets Over
Agrabah and the integration of a number of photo,  merchandise  and  food locations in this Animation
Backlot.

Tower of Terror* at Walt Disney Studios Park

It all happened that stormy night.  A freakish lightning bolt struck a luxurious Hollywood hotel, changing
things forever and causing its last residents to vanish.  2008 development plans for Walt Disney Studios Park
include a European version of an attraction whose popularity has soared since its introduction at Walt Disney
World Resort in 1994, and more recently at  Disneyland Resort in 2004.  One thing already clear in the
project  is that the attraction will be a Walt Disney Studios Park landmark.  Its monumental architecture,
central position on Production Courtyard and multi-story structure will all make it unmissable – to say
nothing of the attraction experience itself.

Visitors will begin their journey by strolling through  the timeworn, yet atmospheric lobby and library.
These same guests will then be elevated high into the body of the hotel aboard service lifts, and straight into
a  strange world.  The fate of the vanished former residents will then unfold before their very eyes, just as
their own destiny becomes frighteningly obvious.  As their lift door opens, they return to reality,  finding
themselves and their lift plunging to the bottom of  a lift shaft.  The breath-taking descent will happen
quicker than gravity itself and the rebound back to the top will give those who closed their eyes a second
chance to watch what happens.
Note no mention of The Twilight Zone, not even a confirmation of what attractions would be in Toon Studios, no Stitch Live, no Playhouse Disney, and that both Buzz and Toon Studio lost an "s" along the way!

Austin Danger Kelly

The snow is something youd blame if your doing badly in a football kickabout.  
Was it really so bad on the continent that Eurodisney SCA can blame a poor quarter on it?
Maybe it was that bad, in just curious.
Past visits to the Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Hotel Three Times.
Sequoia Lodge Four Times.
Travelers Explorers Hotel Once.
]

Adam

Judging by the posts on here, as the park had to close early on a number of days due to snow and was affected badly for performance and travel, including Eurostar, it was bad and would have significantly affected DLP. Effectively, they were running at reduced levels of customers and service for a good week.