Phantom Manor Update?

Started by pfspock, February 04, 2011, 01:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

15MagicalYears

I'd like to see some new effects inside the ride itself rather than plussing the queue.

simonandwendy626

Looks interesting but I prefer the old queue line. I always get a chill, even during the summer whilst queing and it just adds to the whole experience.
Would like to see the cast members getting in on the act again.
A few times in the 90's we saw the Grim Reaper outside by the entrance and it was fun to watch people ignoring him because he seemed static and then running screaming when he went to grab them.

dagobert

I also prefere our queue. In my opinion this is just a playground for people having troubles with waiting.

Reiana

Hm, I think new additions would be good. But not interactive ones. I can imagine the the interactiv instruments can be very nerving when guests are touching them, making strange noises all the time.
Kids would surely love them, but everybody knows what will happen when kids find out how to use this things. Speaking of my four year old daughter. She loves to push buttons.
 :lol:

mummymac

Boohoo PM is closed the week we are going!!! Gutted!!!!!!

:(

MrsPirate

I'm hoping the refurb also extends to the gardens. I was watching a youtube clip from 2009 and it showed the summer house table laid out for afternoon tea and the fountain in the pens working. Tiny details but they add to the atmosphere.

Off Site June 1992
Santa Fe, July 2009
Cheyenne, June 2010
Newport Bay Club Admirals Floor, July 2011
Sequoia Lodge, Christmas November 2011
Sequoia Lodge, June 2012
Hotel New York, Christmas November 2012
Hotel New York, Halloween 2013
Disneyland Hotel, Christmas 2014 and Christmas 2015
Newport Bay Club Compass Club, Christmas 2016 and Christmas 2018

Patrick89

I could really do without new scenes - Phantom Manor is great as it is, so there is no reason to change anything...
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

Scissorsboi

I disagree, you can definately use new technology to improve the spectacle of the attraction whilst maintaining the feel. The new floating Leona effect for example is spellbinding, and would give the attraction that little change and kick to draw people back to it. Walt did say himself that Disneyland was a living project that would be forever changing and improved, I think he'd love to see how people can use new tricks to make his ideas come to life even more magically!

The same goes for the new mirrors effect at the end of the WDW Mansion, it covers the slightly clunky, out of date ending of the old Mansion and replaces it with something to leave people going 'how did that work'! Which surely is one of the key places you should have a mysterious illusion, in a mysterious Manor sitting atop a hill.

If we didn't change anything from the originals we'd not even have the Manor as we know it, Walt didn't want the house to look run down, and if the Imagineers hadn't seen past that and challenged what people knew, then we wouldn't have the most beautiful Mansion of them all!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

Patrick89

Draw people back to it? I don't think Phantom Manor has the problem of decreasing visitors...
But I agree with you that new technology and improvements aren't always bad - the thing is: I didn't like most of the recent updates/improvements/add-ons in other attractions, so I'm always sceptical if people call for changes of good rides...

Bring back the moon!

Scissorsboi

I've always felt that as it isn't a character ride people just don't care for it as much. It's annoying because it's one of the best attractions in the parks!

I think (hope) that if they do add any upgrades they'll use the effects which have been tried and tested, and approved by the fans of the Haunted Mansions so far, instead of new untested ideas which may not work as well. I'm not talking massive overhauls, but the little things that add the sense of wonder to the Manor, floating Leota, the lightning changing portraits, mirror gag etc.

DGRavenswood

The new mirror animation is already quite out of tune with the whimsical Haunted Mansion, Walt forbid they try to add anything of the kind to Phantom Manor! I'll hand you the floating Leota effect.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Scissorsboi

How is it out of tune? I'd say it took the original idea, and made it more convincing! Obviously I wouldn't want those meddlesome Hitchhiking Ghosts in the mirrors, but imagine if you looked into the mirror and the Phantom faded into view between you, or reached down and lifted a hat off your head?

It'd look better than the clunky Phantom figure which most of the time doesn't line up with the Doombuggy anymore! I've always thought as a finalé piece, the fact that you can see the Phantom coming round the corner as he reaches the start and end of the run behind the mirrors ruins the effect, I'd love to see the new technology make it a really eerie ending to the Manor. You could even have Melanie appear again to protect certain Doombuggies!

Patrick89

Indeed, the Phantom in the mirrors at the end would be really nice!

Bring back the moon!

CafeFantasia

I think the real problem with the new mirror effect in Florida is the style of the animation itself. If the animated ghosts had the same constraints as an audio-animatronic figure, the effect would gel better with the rest of the attraction.

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "Alan"I think the real problem with the new mirror effect in Florida is the style of the animation itself. If the animated ghosts had the same constraints as an audio-animatronic figure, the effect would gel better with the rest of the attraction.

Right, that's one problem... then there are the ghosts' actions which would fit better in a Looney Tunes cartoon.

IF they used it in a more subtle way, I'd be all in favor, but at that point I wonder if they'd even bother.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke